• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ok its Vetran's law and order day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok its Vetran's law and order day

This is worth a watch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p07txpdk/tagged

a series of 3 documentaries about people who are on tag.

£9-£13 a day rather than £1000 a week for prison.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...rotect-victims
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Yep that works..

Criminal removed tag before horrific murder
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...rrific-1062894
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      well it would if properly managed

But a BBC 3 documentary that was screened on Monday revealed he removed the tag on several occasions without punishment.

A senior police officer in Rochdale said that tags were regarded in the force as 'a waste of space' and curfew orders were frequently abused and not properly enforced by the private company in charge of enforcement.

Clegg was placed under a curfew order in November 2003 after being caught stealing a car and in possession of a knife and a loaded air rifle.

The documentary claims that over the first three weeks of that sentence, he removed his tag or tampered with it 13 times.
      as you say if properly managed.

The Police & Securicor had 13 opportunities to escalate his punishment to custodial sentence but failed to do so?

it is however £13 rather £142 a day for prison so if properly managed it could mean >10 times as many offenders managed. Also the tags can be manufactured in the millions without planning permission unlike cells.

I'm happy if an alcohol tag (modern tech not available in 2003 when your story is from) is used to provide an initial sentence for DUI with addiction counselling and testing, far more effective than the police picking them up every week until they are finally imprisoned. Some nutter who likes little kids or assaulting pensioners are better locked up.

As 39% of violent acts involve alcohol this tech has a lot of potential. (I was actually surprised it was so low with Stella (wifebeater) Artois in existence but maybe the rest involve drugs?)

Tech is the solution to much crime - CCTV, speed cameras etc. are easy ways to police society.

Comment

Well we know what a privatised probation service has led to.

So if we want to tag offenders properly it means investment in public services and not using private companies.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Well we know what a privatised probation service has led to.

So if we want to tag offenders properly it means investment in public services and not using private companies.
          or better oversight. I don't wash my car but if its not well done I don't pay.

Comment

We could set up factories or offices inside prisons and make them work. How about contractors working from prison? Maybe some of you already do.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Is there no oakum to pick?

Are there no stones to crush?

That rotating handle thing could be used to generate power these days!

Even better: the treadmill!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_treadmill
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 February 2023, 12:47.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

That's a picture of you in your younger days isn't it?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

or better oversight. I don't wash my car but if its not well done I don't pay.
                  It's not just about the money it is ensuring cases like this don't happen again - https://news.sky.com/story/zara-alee...rison-12794150

Due to mess like this:
                  https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ling-disasters
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    Is there no oakum to pick?

Even better: the treadmill!
                    If every prisoner in the UK spent 4 hours a day on a power-generating treadmill, this might achieve 30kWh a day, obviously depending on prisoner fitness and enthusiasm levels. This could offset the cost of heating prisons and improve prisoner health. However, it would probably mean that the prisoners would need to eat more food, so may not be cost-effective.

A treadmill may be useful for non-custodial sentences. Rather that 100 hours community service, it could be 100 hours on the treadmill. These would need to be located in the town square (like the stocks) so that the 'law and order brigade' could enjoy the shame factor associated with punishment.
                    Last edited by Protagoras; 18 February 2023, 14:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X