• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Older contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I think in 5-10 years only the old programmers will be working looking after legacy systems. The new generation will ask a daft AI to write a system for them and it will probably do a decent job.
    I have "only" been in development/coding for 20 years but even before I graduated, people were prophesying "the end of coding". As it turns out, not only has coding not been replaced by visual tools and code generators, it's hardly changed. The tools are far, FAR better but TBH even the languages haven't changed much. Web is still written in JS, backend still often written in PHP/Java... .Net is great but evolutionary from Java/C++ and Google et al are still trying to find a replacement to C++. New tech and languages come and (mostly) go but the day to day coding work is really not massively different.

Maybe AI is the disruptor everyone says - I am leaning towards that view - but complex engineering in niche areas with bespoke terminology are not an easy application for it. "Write me code to X" is all very well, but figuring out precisely what "X" is is something humans haven't really figured out. A new developer joins a team, even if they are great they have no understand what the code does. They have to scrutinise code, documents, etc and often talk to the rest of the team... I'm not sure if that part of AI/ML is as far along as the 'flashy' bits.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think in 5-10 years only the old programmers will be working looking after legacy systems. The new generation will ask a daft AI to write a system for them and it will probably do a decent job.

I remember a lecturer at UNI saying that being a clerk in a bank was a middle class profession 100 years ago with status until tech replaced the need for any kind of skill. I can see general programming going the same way.
      It will be those who refuse to or are unable to adapt that will fall by the wayside.

Those crusty fossils who ridicule new technology and hide their incompetence behind bluster and war stories.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I have "only" been in development/coding for 20 years but even before I graduated, people were prophesying "the end of coding". As it turns out, not only has coding not been replaced by visual tools and code generators, it's hardly changed. The tools are far, FAR better but TBH even the languages haven't changed much. Web is still written in JS, backend still often written in PHP/Java... .Net is great but evolutionary from Java/C++ and Google et al are still trying to find a replacement to C++. New tech and languages come and (mostly) go but the day to day coding work is really not massively different.

Maybe AI is the disruptor everyone says - I am leaning towards that view - but complex engineering in niche areas with bespoke terminology are not an easy application for it. "Write me code to X" is all very well, but figuring out precisely what "X" is is something humans haven't really figured out. A new developer joins a team, even if they are great they have no understand what the code does. They have to scrutinise code, documents, etc and often talk to the rest of the team... I'm not sure if that part of AI/ML is as far along as the 'flashy' bits.
        I agree, I’ve been a paid as a programmer for 30 years now. But i can feel a sea change.

Perhaps 5 years is too soon but 10 years mmm think thats about right.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I have "only" been in development/coding for 20 years but even before I graduated, people were prophesying "the end of coding".
          Ain't they just:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_One_(software)

It was The Coming Thing until it wasn't.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Also using thumbs up is old. You are supposed to send a facial expression emoji.
            Breaking the thumbs up habit is hard, although Boris and Paul McCartney spring to mind every time I do it.

Comment

I was partly joking but I'm not sure, I can see in 5-10 years there being a big change in general programming. But I'm just guessing. I can still remember a bit of Cobol, I don't think a decent AI worth its salt would lower itself to that so I should be ok Jack.
              I think someone needs to teach the AI which stones to turn over, that normally is the expertise. i.e. which incredibly stupid thing did the coder do, and you know how the Universe likes inventing a new idiot
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I am in the downward trajectory to my fifties (my Mum yesterday was being shocked at how old her children are!) and have been bimbling along in contracting for 17 or so years.

Never had a plan, couldn't tell you what I do (it's not secret, I just have never fathomed what my elevator pitch is), yet the work still turns up. I do dye my hair but don't wear skinny jeans. I do say 'cool' too often.

Comment

I was partly joking but I'm not sure, I can see in 5-10 years there being a big change in general programming. But I'm just guessing. I can still remember a bit of Cobol, I don't think a decent AI worth its salt would lower itself to that so I should be ok Jack.
                  Code:
                  IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
                  PROGRAM-ID. COUNT-GOOD-POSTS.
                  ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
                  INPUT-OUTPUT SECTION.
                  FILE-CONTROL.
                  SELECT POSTS-FILE ASSIGN TO "posts.dat".
                  DATA DIVISION.
                  FILE SECTION.
                  FD POSTS-FILE.
                  01 POSTS-RECORD.
                      02 POST-ID PIC 9(4).
                      02 POST-USER PIC X(20).
                      02 POST-QUALITY PIC X(3).
                      02 POST-DATE PIC X(10).
                  WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
                  01 WS-COUNTER PIC 9(4) VALUE ZERO.
                  01 WS-USER PIC X(20).
                  PROCEDURE DIVISION.
                  BEGIN.
                      DISPLAY "Enter the user name:".
                      ACCEPT WS-USER.

OPEN INPUT POSTS-FILE.
                      READ POSTS-FILE
                          AT END SET WS-COUNTER TO ZERO
                          NOT AT END
                              IF POST-USER = WS-USER AND POST-QUALITY = "GOOD"
                                  ADD 1 TO WS-COUNTER
                              END-IF
                             READ POSTS-FILE
                      END-READ.
                      CLOSE POSTS-FILE.

DISPLAY WS-USER "has made" WS-COUNTER "good posts".
                  STOP RUN.
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 13 February 2023, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Code:
                    IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
                    PROGRAM-ID. COUNT-GOOD-POSTS.
                    ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
                    INPUT-OUTPUT SECTION.
                    FILE-CONTROL.
                    SELECT POSTS-FILE ASSIGN TO "posts.dat".
                    DATA DIVISION.
                    FILE SECTION.
                    FD POSTS-FILE.
                    01 POSTS-RECORD.
                    02 POST-ID PIC 9(4).
                    02 POST-USER PIC X(20).
                    02 POST-QUALITY PIC X(3).
                    02 POST-DATE PIC X(10).
                    WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
                    01 WS-COUNTER PIC 9(4) VALUE ZERO.
                    01 WS-USER PIC X(20).
                    PROCEDURE DIVISION.
                    BEGIN.
                    DISPLAY "Enter the user name:".
                    ACCEPT WS-USER.

OPEN INPUT POSTS-FILE.
                    READ POSTS-FILE
                    AT END SET WS-COUNTER TO ZERO
                    NOT AT END
                    IF POST-USER = WS-USER AND POST-QUALITY = "GOOD"
                    ADD 1 TO WS-COUNTER
                    END-IF
                    READ POSTS-FILE
                    END-READ.
                    CLOSE POSTS-FILE.

DISPLAY WS-USER "has made" WS-COUNTER "good posts".
                    STOP RUN.
                    It's several decades since I last did COBOL, but back then different column regions denoted different functions of the code, e.g. Area A & B etc. Is this no longer the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

It's several decades since I last did COBOL, but back then different column regions denoted different functions of the code, e.g. Area A & B etc. Is this no longer the case?
                      The COBOL language has not changed significantly since its inception in the late 1950s. The basic structure and format of COBOL code, including the use of columns for different purposes, is still in use today.

In COBOL, columns 1 through 6 are reserved for sequence numbers, columns 7 through 11 are typically used for indicators or continuation characters, and columns 12 through 72 are used for actual code. The columns are used to define the structure and organization of the code, with specific functions assigned to different regions.

The use of column regions is still a standard practice in COBOL programming, and it is used to improve the readability and maintainability of the code. While there may be variations in the specific uses of each column region, the basic structure of COBOL code remains largely unchanged.

(in case its not clear, these are ChatGPT's responses not mine - i've repasted the code above to show the formatting it gave)
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 13 February 2023, 10:36.

Comment

Working...
                      X