• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some action on illegal working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some action on illegal working

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/eu-citize...ht-away/427765

1/2 -> 3/4 million working illegally apparently.

GB news seem to be a little confused though, not sure Romania & Albania are in the EU yet.

Though I suspect a lot of Polish etc workers have stayed a few may be illegal. If they were EU citizen in the UK before B day they were entitled to apply to remain for free.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I have to admire the determination to cross half a continent or more to search for a better life.

I certainly admire it a lot more than those who despite access to free healthcare, education etc. still prefer to put their hands out.

Illegal workers are a problem but lets face facts - these people aren't taking these jobs away from people who want them. My problem with illegal workers is the people who exploit them.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      https://www.gbnews.uk/news/eu-citize...ht-away/427765

1/2 -> 3/4 million working illegally apparently.

GB news seem to be a little confused though, not sure Romania & Albania are in the EU yet.

Though I suspect a lot of Polish etc workers have stayed a few may be illegal. If they were EU citizen in the UK before B day they were entitled to apply to remain for free.
      A load of bollox news article for the entertainment of Brextulipers.
      Romania is in the EU (there is still a reciprocal work permit agreement with the UK) Albania is not EU but they do not require visas.
      Both are generally very hard workers and pay their taxes.
      There are a few hundred thousand Brits in the EU and have not registered and technically illegal.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

A load of bollox news article for the entertainment of Brextulipers.
        Romania is in the EU (there is still a reciprocal work permit agreement with the UK) Albania is not EU but they do not require visas.
        There are a few hundred thousand Brits in the EU and have not registered and technically illegal.
        Gbeebies really is shockingly bad.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Your title says "illegal immigration" but the story is about working illegally, two very different things.

The UK allegedly is struggling to get people to fill vacancies, yet at the same time the migrants who are waiting to be processed by the government's failing processing scheme (which doesn't get enough attention), those migrants are not allowed to work.

People may have legally entered the UK on a legal visa, and that visa has expired. That does not make them illegal immigrants. That makes them people who have outstayed their visa. Given that the government chooses not track people with visas to know when they leave, then who knows how many are still here.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by having a Paddy View Post

I typed a load of bollox as usual

FTFY

From the horses mouth, not from a horses other end.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/r...x_months/other

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/a...x_months/other

Yes they are mainly hard workers because they are being abused because of their illegal status.

which bit of working illegally confuses you? They aren't paying taxes.

I am sure there are UK citizens who are abroad that haven't got the right visas, if they come home we will probably double our prison population when their host country quite rightly throw them out, the costa del crime has suffered many creative British criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I'll bet the taxes collected from pop up car washes and their 'employees' is a big fat zero so even though you put 'generally' at the beginning it's very difficult to argue that is true at all. We can only gather stats on those we know about that are in proper jobs. We have no idea whats going outside of that and anecdotal evidence tells us the tax payers are the tip of a very lopsided iceberg.

They are also two of the most corrupt countries in Europe and a majority of those coming are from the lower end of the economic scale to the concept that working and paying tax is the done thing will be completely alien to them.

Do workers from these two countries have a +ve effect to the Uk economy? It's very hard to believe they do.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'll bet the taxes collected from pop up car washes and their 'employees' is a big fat zero
                I'll bet it is not zero but way South of where it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Your title says "illegal immigration" but the story is about working illegally, two very different things.

The UK allegedly is struggling to get people to fill vacancies, yet at the same time the migrants who are waiting to be processed by the government's failing processing scheme (which doesn't get enough attention), those migrants are not allowed to work.

People may have legally entered the UK on a legal visa, and that visa has expired. That does not make them illegal immigrants. That makes them people who have outstayed their visa. Given that the government chooses not track people with visas to know when they leave, then who knows how many are still here.
                  Blimey there is a whole field of horses and they are all facing away from me while they talk.

illegal
                  /ɪˈliːɡl/
                  adjective
                  1. contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.

If you come using a visa but lie about your purpose then that invalidates the Visa.

So if you come on a visitors visa but your purpose is to do work that is prohibited, then your visa is void your actions are contrary to immigration law. This is clearly stated on the visa application in most countries.

If you overstay your visa then your visa is no longer valid and you are therefore here illegally.

The home office even describe it as a crime i.e. something illegal.

https://www.amsallegations.homeoffic...me=Lf62UB7cz4C

Ah yes the UK is struggling to get people to fill vacancies at minimum wage and with dreadful conditions however there are plenty of people on zero hour contracts who would welcome regular work. Flooding the market with cheap labour is not really going to help. We are recovering from B'liar & co doing that with the accession countries 2004 onwards , seems you want to let in any person who got here illegally.

I don't want to be a sous chef on £12 an hour in central London strangely few people do. Care workers are now seeing £15 an hour like Lidl & Aldi.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'll bet the taxes collected from pop up car washes and their 'employees' is a big fat zero so even though you put 'generally' at the beginning it's very difficult to argue that is true at all. We can only gather stats on those we know about that are in proper jobs. We have no idea whats going outside of that and anecdotal evidence tells us the tax payers are the tip of a very lopsided iceberg.

They are also two of the most corrupt countries in Europe and a majority of those coming are from the lower end of the economic scale to the concept that working and paying tax is the done thing will be completely alien to them.

Do workers from these two countries have a +ve effect to the Uk economy? It's very hard to believe they do.
                    its part of the estimated £10 billion underpayments

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ax_evasion.pdf

The tax gap for 2011-12 is estimated at £35 billion a year – this is the difference between the amount of tax that should in theory be collected, against what is actually collected. Tax evasion and the hidden economy make up around £10.5 billion of that figure – around 30 per cent of the tax gap.

Comment

Working...
                    X