• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some action on illegal working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    I certainly admire it a lot more than those who despite access to free healthcare, education etc. still prefer to put their hands out.

Illegal workers are a problem but lets face facts - these people aren't taking these jobs away from people who want them. My problem with illegal workers is the people who exploit them.
    I would have to agree pretty much on the 2nd point although there is an argument if they work for under the minimum wage, that does mean 'legals' can't get the jobs... but I don't know this is a big effect in reality (doubt it).

On the first point, if a system offers you a free ride why wouldn't you take it? Especially if the only work available is crap and doesn't end up helping your bottom line with everything considered. We don't work as contractors for the common good but for our personal gain.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
      these people aren't taking these jobs away from people who want them at the low wage the employer would prefer to pay
      The levels of pay you're talking about are almost certainly dodgy cash-in-hand, no questions asked, no tax paid on either side gigs. Otherwise they'd be paying minimum wage at least and, if nobody would take the job at that wage, they'd have to pay more.

As long as some people are available to work on a shady cash-in-hand basis, coping with a lower wage because there are no deductions, there's no incentive for an employer to pay a wage in a legal way that a permanent resident paying income taxes might be able to survive on.

You mention about people "who despite access to free healthcare, education etc. still prefer to put their hands out" but, as far as I'm concerned, anyone taking part in a cash-in-hand arrangement is doing exactly that; expecting all the benefits of being part of a community while not doing their bit to fund those benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I would have to agree pretty much on the 2nd point although there is an argument if they work for under the minimum wage, that does mean 'legals' can't get the jobs... but I don't know this is a big effect in reality (doubt it).

On the first point, if a system offers you a free ride why wouldn't you take it? Especially if the only work available is crap and doesn't end up helping your bottom line with everything considered. We don't work as contractors for the common good but for our personal gain.
        I have had friends declare after investigation that they actually would get more on benefits. They had turned down prospective jobs on this basis.

If I ruled the world then benefit claimants would be required to attend a Teams/zoom meeting every day with the camera on. They can teach them interview skills from 8am to 6pm, this stops them enjoying a funded life of idleness, committing petty crime, abusing Alcohol/drugs or claiming and working cash in hand.

here you go migration cuts wages and affects existing poor migrants in the country most.

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...f-immigration/

The MAC (2018) estimated that an increase in the number of EU migrants corresponding to 1% of the UK-born working-age population resulted in a 0.8% decrease in UK-born wages at the 5th and 10th percentiles (i.e. people in the bottom 5-10% of earners), and a 0.6% increase at the 90th percentile (i.e. high earners). In practice, this means that between 1993 and 2017, the total effect of EU migration on the wages of UK-born workers was estimated to be a 4.9% reduction in wages for those at the 10th earnings percentile, a 1.6% reduction at the 25th percentile, a 1.6% increase at the 50th percentile, and a 4.4% increase at the 90th percentile. The calculation of the total impact should be interpreted with caution, however, because the model estimates the short-run response to migration, which is expected to disappear over time (MAC, 2018: 32).

Finally, research suggests that any adverse wage effects of immigration are likely to be greatest for resident workers who are themselves migrants. This is because the skills of new migrants are likely to be closer substitutes for the skills of migrants already employed in the UK than for those of UK-born workers. Manacorda, Manning and Wadsworth (2012) analyse data from 1975-2005 and conclude that the main impact of increased immigration is on the wages of migrants already in the UK.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

its part of the estimated £10 billion underpayments

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ax_evasion.pdf
          And that's just lost taxes. Imagine the costs of managing these people.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

and finally

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ent-state.html

You have to get to the top 40 per cent before you can claim to be a net contributor. Households in the fourth quintile pay £4,113 more in tax than they take out, while the top 20 per cent of earners pay a whopping £20,125 more in than they get back.
            The UK tax and spend is designed to be 'progressive', with those at the bottom get more from the state than those at the top, but the CPS say that the trend has accelerated in the last decade.

In 2000/01 the middle quintile of earners paid in 5.9 per cent more in taxes than they received back in value from the state. Ten years on and the middle quintile gets back 20 per cent more than they put in.

so any jobs paying below top 40% earners aren't actually on average paying more in than they are taking out.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

And that's just lost taxes. Imagine the costs of managing these people.
              you can't imagine their employers are particularly good at health & safety etc.

Comment

and finally

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...ent-state.html

so any jobs paying below top 40% earners aren't actually on average paying more in than they are taking out.
                You realise this article is nearly 10 years old, based on data that's even older?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

You realise this article is nearly 10 years old, based on data that's even older?
                  I do, are you suggesting the general thrust is wrong and now even those on burger chain wages are self funding and with wage stagnation the sums are slightly less worrying?

Most companies do top customer and margin analysis, apparently governments don't.

Some people study Machiavelli he is still spot on.

Comment

you can't imagine their employers are particularly good at health & safety etc.
                    I meant the gov. Finding them, raiding, holding, re-patirating, fraud of the system you name it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I meant the gov. Finding them, raiding, holding, re-patirating, fraud of the system you name it.
                      ah good point

Comment

Working...
                      X