• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: Premium Bonds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£25 on £60k across our family
    Surely this is a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      £25 on £60k across our family
      Surely this is a scam.
      You've a 1 in 24,000 to win a prize so yeah, technically you should have won 2 prizes (rounding down) and you've won one so are only 50% behind the odds...

And then it is gambling with no gaurantee of winning a single thing.

So no, it's not a scam, its gambling against high odds.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        A tasty £325 this month, which makes up for a couple of crappy months
        nice one. Always good to get ahead of the odds.

Pulled all mine out last month and paid the mortgage off which came out of my 5 year fixed term at the highest point a few weeks go. 3.3% on average vs 6+% for a mortgage? Miss not getting my winning mails but happy with the fact I'm saving the £600 extra I would have to pay plus the interest I was already paying.

I'll miss the mails and fun but much happier with the savings I'm getting regularly now. Just gotta start building the bonds back up again and get back in the game as quick as I can.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

nice one. Always good to get ahead of the odds.

Pulled all mine out last month and paid the mortgage off which came out of my 5 year fixed term at the highest point a few weeks go. 3.3% on average vs 6+% for a mortgage? Miss not getting my winning mails but happy with the fact I'm saving the £600 extra I would have to pay plus the interest I was already paying.

I'll miss the mails and fun but much happier with the savings I'm getting regularly now. Just gotta start building the bonds back up again and get back in the game as quick as I can.
          Easy done when you live up North

A good move nonetheless. My mortgage is 2% fixed for a couple more years, after which I will want to pay it down drastically too but the bonds will only put a small dent in it. Not to mention the much greater BTL loans I want to pay down before those fixed rates come up for renewal!

Comment

Reading elsewhere, some folks are starting to get disillusioned with premium bonds, and considering pulling their money out. Now that NS&I have skewed the winnings more in favour of bigger prizes, it's harder to achieve close to the 3.3% fund rate. Some people have had the maximum invested for a year and only got 1%.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              Some people have had the maximum invested for a year and only got 1%.
              You need to keep it invested for a reasonable length of time.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You need to keep it invested for a reasonable length of time.
                So, unlike other savings products, it's entirely reasonable to put in several thousand pounds and a year later have zero returns? Even the worst performing savings accounts return something over the same period.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

So, unlike other savings products, it's entirely reasonable to put in several thousand pounds and a year later have zero returns? Even the worst performing savings accounts return something over the same period.
                  Yes, that’s how it works. It’s gambling more than saving, which is why it’s tax free. I’ve received well over the headline rate in the last year, but others will have received much less, that’s how probability distributions work.

Comment

My father held £13k and we have won £300 since he passed away in December.

Comment

£25 today out of 12k I put in just over a month ago. I'm ok with that, probably not win anything else for ages though!

Comment

Working...
                      X