• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: Premium Bonds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time I've "won" nothing in a month, which feels like losing £137.50

Comment

£900 for the tax year for me, which is about 2%
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Yes, that’s how it works. It’s gambling more than saving, which is why it’s tax free. I’ve received well over the headline rate in the last year, but others will have received much less, that’s how probability distributions work.
        Before they changed the prize distribution, with maximum holdings, it was easier to achieve close to the fund rate, making it somewhat comparable to an instant access savings account. Now there's much more luck involved whether you get a reasonable return.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Before they changed the prize distribution, with maximum holdings, it was easier to achieve close to the fund rate, making it somewhat comparable to an instant access savings account. Now there's much more luck involved whether you get a reasonable return.
          Yes, the expected value of the distribution is one thing, the overall distribution another. Obviously, for a fixed prize fund, if they weighted it all towards the highest prizes with a single bond for each other prize category, the probability of a win for someone with average/expected luck over any practical holding period would be vanishingly small.

But it has always been about gambling because they literally take random samples with a pseudorandom number generator from the population of bond numbers with as many samples as prizes available in each category of prize (or something conceptually equivalent to that), they just tweak the distribution of prizes every now and then.

Comment

Only £75 (25+50)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Only £75 (25+50)

You can buy a tulipload of smarties with £75...
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

£225 in April. Not too shabby.

Comment

£350. Nice start to the new tax year
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    First time I've "won" nothing in a month, which feels like losing £137.50
                    £300 in May... back on track

Comment

I have had £550 on a £20k investment over three years...

Comment

Working...
                      X