• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: harmful and offensive language

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: harmful and offensive language

University cancels dozens of ‘harmful’ words and phrases to avoid causing offence

Stanford plans to do away with language it believes is sexist, ableist and potentially racist

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...phrases-avoid/

What a load of old ***. What is the point of banning words/phrases that just about nobody is offended by?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It really seems like the only ones who are ever offended are the right wing newspapers that run the stories to make sure their readers are up to date on what they should be angry about today (hint: it won’t be what the government are doing, but something to distract from that)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

CUK should review its emojis. The mad one is definitely offensive to those with mental problems while the spank one is promoting violence.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          the spank one is promoting violence.
          If you look carefully -

They are both smiling so it's clearly consensual

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            It really seems like the only ones who are ever offended are the right wing newspapers that run the stories to make sure their readers are up to date on what they should be angry about today (hint: it won’t be what the government are doing, but something to distract from that)
            Correct. The manufactured culture wars are so relentlessly tedious, and yet seemingly effective with a certain sector of the population. How many Daily Mail readers have even seen a trans person, for example, yet alone been impacted by one using "their" toilet, or whatever the outrage de jour is.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              CUK should review its emojis. The mad one is definitely offensive to those with mental problems while the spank one is promoting violence.
              Stop being woke and offended on my behalf

As someone suffering from mental health issues I'm not offended by the mental emoji.

but this hairsuit emoji, this really offends me!!!
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I think the stereotyping of aliens has to stop

Comment

They are both smiling so it's clearly consensual
                  In that case it's pervy. Does CUK have an age check?
                  bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Stop being woke and offended on my behalf

As someone suffering from mental health issues I'm not offended by the mental emoji.

but this hairsuit emoji, this really offends me!!!
                    hirsute?

Have you noticed almost all the emojis are bald?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X