• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DOOM: harmful and offensive language"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There was a site manager in one of the places who looked like a man in a frock. I don't know if he was trans, or he was just a man who liked to wear a dress. But he was certainly good at his job. Nobody cared really.

I don't know his preferred pronoun which is another phrase proscribed in Stamford's newspeak, on the grounds that it implies gender is a preference rather than a real thing. Which is weird as I know transwomen who prefer "they" etc. and others who prefer "she" etc.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I walk around half asleep most of the time, and only notice because of very odd fashion sense or because the voice doesn't match the look.

I also blame those involved in marketing of children's products. If children's toys and clothes where just that, then the mocking of people don't want to be stereotypical wouldn't happen.
    There is a lady with an Adams apple who works in Tesco's, well dressed and made up she looked completely female . when she first spoke to me I did a double take , sadly I don't think I managed to hid it but she was very helpful and friendly.

One lady works in a local charity store, we had a long chat as she is still living as a woman waiting for surgery, she actually started telling me , I was chatting about Stargate the movie and somehow the conversation drifted.

Both just seemed to be in the wrong body for them just as one of my childhood friends is gay, its just a fact.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    What was that TV series where some aliens just spoke ak ak ak ak.. ? That would solve these problems.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They have a website for it and everything. Seems the wail was the first to report it and the slaver / Auntie haven't noticed as usual.

https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/new...iative-website

This rewriting history with inaccuracies and looking for offence everywhere is tedious and in many cases counter productive. I actually preferred allow/deny list as they instantly make sense but some of these are just being argumentative and incorrect its like being at church - believe because we say so!

There is a discussion that needs to be had about how we help people transition and how they need to behave to make women feel comfortable in female only places etc. while doing so. One assumes there are sealed changing rooms, so use them until you have transitioned.

There is quite a bit of activism in the trans community, some of it is not really fair on people who are impacted by it, it does seem to be about shocking people in some cases.

Most people don't really care about what others do so long as they don't have a negative impact on their life. The events NAT recount seem to be negative, his daughter being subject to indecent exposure/flashing or bigoted attitudes aren't acceptable in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

My daughter don't read the Wail, yet they've on occassion been confronted with a person dressing as a woman who had a penis and made no effort to be discreet, in the sports centre ladies' changing room. And on a university workshop week, she was mocked by a transwoman for not being in clothes and makeup and other stereotypical female attributes.

Having said that, I've mean transsexuals from time to time and the majority have just wanted to live a quiet life, didn't get too upset if misgendered accidentally, and had a general respect towards other people.
    I walk around half asleep most of the time, and only notice because of very odd fashion sense or because the voice doesn't match the look.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If people would just behave decently towards each other, the Wail would have nothing to feed their readers. I blame the transactivists.
    I also blame those involved in marketing of children's products. If children's toys and clothes where just that, then the mocking of people don't want to be stereotypical wouldn't happen.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The MOJ don't get it right in a lot of cases like with the killer of Zara Aleena

How many transgender people are as dangerous as in your example?
    As I explained (probably man-splained ) to a young lady at work, the issue of self-identification and giving access to anyone who says they identify as women to women's spaces, is not that transwomen are dangerous, rather that some people will exploit such rights to harm women.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Sadly these two prisoners paid for the lack of forethought around claiming trans status.

obviously its ridiculous to suggest the prison service have got it right.
    The MOJ don't get it right in a lot of cases like with the killer of Zara Aleena

How many transgender people are as dangerous as in your example?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

Correct. The manufactured culture wars are so relentlessly tedious, and yet seemingly effective with a certain sector of the population. How many Daily Mail readers have even seen a trans person, for example, yet alone been impacted by one using "their" toilet, or whatever the outrage de jour is.
    My daughter don't read the Wail, yet they've on occassion been confronted with a person dressing as a woman who had a penis and made no effort to be discreet, in the sports centre ladies' changing room. And on a university workshop week, she was mocked by a transwoman for not being in clothes and makeup and other stereotypical female attributes.

Having said that, I've mean transsexuals from time to time and the majority have just wanted to live a quiet life, didn't get too upset if misgendered accidentally, and had a general respect towards other people.

If people would just behave decently towards each other, the Wail would have nothing to feed their readers. I blame the transactivists.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'm offended by the lack of academic rigour. E.g.

Basket case Originally referred to someone who had lost all four limbs and needed to be carried around in a basket.
    Wrong. It referred to soldiers who were quadrupal amputees after the first world war, being contained in a warehouse in a basket. It was a myth. There were quadrupal amputees, but they were usually fitted with prosthetic limbs. Or used a wheelchair.

Rule of thumb Although no written record exists, this phrase is attributed to an old British law that allowed men to beat their wives with sticks no wider than their thumb.
    Wrong. Another myth.

Webmaster Historically, masters enslaved people, didn’t consider them human and didn’t allow them to express free will
    Total twaddle. Just wrong.

Paraplegic This term generalizes a population of people while also implying that people with
    disabilities are not capable.

Does the university not have a medical faculty. Paraplegic is a medical term meaning lower body paralysis.

Quadriplegic This term generalizes a population of people while also implying that people with
    disabilities are not capable
    Does the university not have a medical faculty. Paraplegic is a medical term meaning upper and lower body paralysis.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eusu60iqd5...unity.pdf?dl=0

Here's your full list. Some sensible stuff on there. Some obvious stuff. Most of it bollocks

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    My client no longer has any white-lists (for access control). It's now an allow list.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Not sure how the"Black box" offensive or even bad as they save lives by aiding investigation.

https://traveltomorrow.com/the-histo...the-black-box/

It's like complaining about "calling a spade a spade."

Quite. One had to be careful dispensing Lucar spade connectors from the stores. .

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post

Correct. The manufactured culture wars are so relentlessly tedious, and yet seemingly effective with a certain sector of the population. How many Daily Mail readers have even seen a trans person, for example, yet alone been impacted by one using "their" toilet, or whatever the outrage de jour is.
    Sadly these two prisoners paid for the lack of forethought around claiming trans status.

A “predatory and controlling” rapist has been jailed for life after she attacked vulnerable women in female prisons.

Karen White, 52, who was described as being a danger to women and children, admitted sexually assaulting women in a female prison and raping another two women outside jail.

White was transferred to New Hall prison in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, on remand last September after being arrested on suspicion of repeatedly stabbing a neighbour. The attacks on fellow prisoners took place between September and October.

The 52-year-old, who is currently transitioning, was sentenced yesterday for two counts of rape, two sexual assaults and one offence of wounding.

White has previous convictions for indecent assault, indecent exposure and gross indecency involving children, animal cruelty and dishonesty.
    obviously its ridiculous to suggest the prison service have got it right.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Not sure how the"Black box" offensive or even bad as they save lives by aiding investigation.

https://traveltomorrow.com/the-histo...the-black-box/

Although they are commonly known as black boxes, FDRs are in fact bright orange. The term black box was a World War II British phrase, originating with the development of radio, radar and electronic navigational aids in British and Allied combat aircraft. These often-secret electronic devices were encased in metal boxes painted with non-reflective black paint to protect the metal and prevent rust.

It's like complaining about "calling a spade a spade."

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

hirsute?

Have you noticed almost all the emojis are bald?
    That's why he's offended.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X