• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Even graduates are striking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even graduates are striking

First I heard that some young people in the UK can't be bothered to work as they see no point as they can't afford housing etc.

Then I saw this -
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ossible-strike

Civil service graduates on the fast stream will consider strike action in an unprecedented move over frustration with low pay.

About 900 civil servants on the scheme are being balloted for strikes, with 81% backing industrial action at the consultative stage held by the FDA union for senior civil servants.

The FDA said fast stream graduates were not a usual demographic to ballot for strikes but they were “so poorly paid they are skipping meals and relying on family to get by”.

It comes after 100,000 members of the PCS union for civil servants across 214 government departments and other public bodies voted to take strike action over pay, pensions, job security and cuts to redundancy terms.

Staff at Border Force, the Home Office, the Department for Work and Pensions and National Highways are just some of the civil servants planning to strike over Christmas.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

There's only so much pie to divvy and all we have at the moment is everyone wanting a bigger slice of pie when the pie has already been eaten Unfortunately one can't have it all on the back of making nothing

Comment

The link on the fast stream is way out of date and quoting figures from 2016.

Uptodate figures below comment on the fact there is a disproportionate success rate for female, LGB+ and disabled applicants
      https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...ce-fast-stream

If there are any single, white straight males on the current scheme they really don't want to be voting for strikes and rocking the boat. They need to be thankful they are in and just get on with it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The link on the fast stream is way out of date and quoting figures from 2016.

Uptodate figures below comment on the fact there is a disproportionate success rate for female, LGB+ and disabled applicants
        https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...ce-fast-stream

If there are any single, non-disabled, middle class white straight males on the current scheme they really don't want to be voting for strikes and rocking the boat. They need to be thankful they are in and just get on with it.
        FTFY

Civil service asks people class questions.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If there are any single, white straight males on the current scheme
          Reminds me of the Transport For London equal ops scheme from a few years back.

Basically, if you weren't a backward lesbian jewish disabled transexual of foreign descent with issues you would not even get an interview and that included contractors.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

FTFY

Civil service asks people class questions.
            Plenty do even in official documents. Problem is they ask "did you ever have free school meals?" I had meals before they charged for them.

Did your parents go to university is the other one. - well it was free and they didn't want to work in a shop like Grandad so yes.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

Reminds me of the Transport For London equal ops scheme from a few years back.

Basically, if you weren't a backward lesbian jewish disabled transexual of foreign descent with issues you would not even get an interview and that included contractors.
              That explains a lot!

Doubt it was Jewish the left don't like Judaism for some reason.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

That explains a lot!

Doubt it was Jewish the left don't like Judaism for some reason.
                Let me if I can find a copy of their old (it might even be current) equal opportunities questionnaire and post it somewhere for you to have a look at.
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Fast Stream Graduates start on £27-28k a year - I wouldn't call that very poorly paid.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Fast Stream Graduates start on £27-28k a year - I wouldn't call that very poorly paid.
                    That was my thought as well. That said, apparently there are disproportionate numbers of sucessful applicatants from Oxbridge and other private institutions than state education so starting on less than one's butler may sting a bit.

They were complaining about their pay back in 2019 as well
                    https://www.civilserviceworld.com/pr...m-with-low-pay
                    Students complaining about how hard life is after getting a job that is 30/1 over subscribed and ending on only 38k after only three years. Whodathunkit.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 December 2022, 17:12.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X