• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life after contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life after contracting

How long have you been doing it?
    What will you do after...?
    Or will you do it forever?

This is my 3rd stint. I hope to do 2 to 5 years this time round.
    I swore to myself last time I would never get a perm job again, but I did (complicated backstory, involves a prison escape).
    Anyway finally back in the saddle for the 3rd time and have repeated that old oath of never returning to permie.

But then what? I just do this to make money and it beats being a permie (I cannot stand the degradation).
    OFC being a contractor is also just the next step up and its very much bottom feeder work. Its not what I would love to do.

After I save enough I think I want to do something proper like forging axes. Maybe a craft brewery. Or both.

It sounds like you have been working as a contractor for several years, and have decided to do this for a few more years before moving on to other pursuits. It is not uncommon for people to change careers or explore new interests after working for a long time, and it is important to follow your passions and interests. Forging axes and starting a craft brewery are both interesting and rewarding pursuits, and you may find fulfillment and enjoyment in these activities. It is important to follow your dreams and pursue what makes you happy, regardless of the challenges or obstacles you may face.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      It sounds like you have been working as a contractor for several years, and have decided to do this for a few more years before moving on to other pursuits. It is not uncommon for people to change careers or explore new interests after working for a long time, and it is important to follow your passions and interests. Forging axes and starting a craft brewery are both interesting and rewarding pursuits, and you may find fulfillment and enjoyment in these activities. It is important to follow your dreams and pursue what makes you happy, regardless of the challenges or obstacles you may face.
      A notable improvement on your normal standard, AI_V_.

Comment

A wise man once said 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results;

Depending on when you read this Welcome back to part time contracting or good luck in your next perm role.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Next year I will have been contracting for 30 years. I couldn't bear to go permie.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            A wise man once said 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results;
            Flip a coin 10 times, let us know how that goes.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              How are you going to ensure each flip is the same? Not similar, but exactly the same? All else being equal (environment etc) then the result will be the same every time.

Comment

The odds of getting the same side of a coin 10 times in a row are very low. In fact, the odds are 1 in 1024, or 0.098%. This is because each toss of the coin is independent of the others, and the probability of getting a particular side (either heads or tails) is always 50%.
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

How are you going to ensure each flip is the same? Not similar, but exactly the same? All else being equal (environment etc) then the result will be the same every time.
                  Do you think the OP signed exactly the same contract with the same company each time round?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Lend us a quid. I'll give it back after.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X