• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life after contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Do you think the OP signed exactly the same contract with the same company each time round?
    Your "flip a coin" comment was in response to "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". What the OP said is irrelevant.

Comment

In my mid-50's now I increasingly think about this.

Fortunately I'm in a great contract, with interesting work, a decent rate outside IR35 and the people are good. There looks to be longevity in it too so I'm not scanning the 'job' boards. However, when this one ends I just don't have the appetite to go back out there and 'start again'. I'm clocking up approaching 20 years in the game. With luck this will be my final contract.

As to what comes next, 'life after contracting', it's down to me now to finally deliver on some plan B's that will replace contracting. I'll always be a developer, just the way I was made, but I need to turn that from developing other firms products to developing my own.

This contract puts me in a great place to finally deliver on those plan B's. I don't have the London commute anymore, it's 100% remote. Being in a DevOps type role, I'm forever waiting for things to 'happen'. There's ample opportunity to spin both plates.

If I don't deliver on the plan B's whilst this contract is running, I'll only have myself to blame when it comes to an end and nothing is in place to replace it. I'd then have to sell one of my two homes and I really don't want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Your "flip a coin" comment was in response to "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". What the OP said is irrelevant.
        Really dumb reductive arguments don't work so well when everyone can read what was written. Give the angry man routine a rest.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I am in my 18th year of trading. I have no idea what other job I could do and will figure that out when I have to. I have no ambition, just a desire to earn enough to keep a roof over my head and Gold BA status.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I am in my 18th year of trading. I have no idea what other job I could do and will figure that out when I have to. I have no ambition, just a desire to earn enough to keep a roof over my head and Gold BA status.
            Onlyfans.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Onlyfans.
              But you're my only fan and are too tight to pay up

Comment

I'm taking a Walk Leader qualification this year and expect this to keep me in ciggies and beer for the foreseeable future.

I hope to be in better shape than I have been in the past (and that includes the ciggies and beer).
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Twenty years in March.

It's become more famine than feast with gigs lately. Did a four stage interview + presentation for a permy gig in December. All went well until day after presentation they pulled the role.

I guess I am contracting* forever.

* Or until it becomes totally impossible to do that.

qh
                  Last edited by quackhandle; 10 January 2023, 15:47.
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Been at it six years. I hope to contract until I can access my SIPP at 55 (more like 57).

Comment

Maybe go and join the French foreign Legion.
                      Or go live in a commune in Suffolk, like this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-64153693

A group of 60 people who live together in a large house say they are thriving during the cost-of-living crisis.

The Old Hall community share a former friary in East Bergholt, Suffolk, where they live off 65 acres (26 hectares) of land.

They are working towards self-sufficiency in energy and food, with group meals prepared on a rota system.

The manor house has 130 rooms, shared between 44 adults and 15 children plus volunteers and guests.

Comment

Working...
                      X