• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

cretin alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cretin alert

https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/17/man-s...cott-17776566/

Man so annoyed about 30p Asda bags he is ‘sick with stress’ and wants a boycott

A formerly loyal Asda shopper says he is now boycotting the chain because of the high price of their plastic bags.

Stephen Evans, 37, says he would normally buy six bags for his big weekly shop in Greater Manchester, but the 30p price tag for each carrier bag is now too expensive.

He said if the supermarket ‘want a fight’ about the issue, they’ve ‘found the right one to do it with’, given his history campaigning on knife crime and homelessness.

But Asda have defended the price, saying the bags are not intended to be disposable but should be brought back and reused each shop.

They added that the Bags for Life can be replaced free of charge if they are worn out.

Mr Evans claims however that their ‘disgusting’ price has made him ‘sick with stress’.

‘I’ve been to the doctors, and I got a sick note because I’m just so stressed with it all,’ he said.

‘I said that I’ve had enough, I can’t afford to live as it is.

‘I’ve been signed off for depression now because of this and a few other things going on. But this just made it worse.

‘We get about six bags when we do our shopping, and it all adds up at the end of the month.

‘If I get a big shop from Asda and have to get a taxi home, that’s an added £5. If I’m paying all that for six bags, then it all adds up.’

Mr Evans, from Ashton-Under-Lyne, says he and his family had been loyal Asda shoppers for 15 years until recently.

The charity volunteer said he has now decided to ‘boycott’ the supermarket due to spending around £1.80 a week on the plastic bags – more than £30 a year.

He would now rather get the bus to a different shop, where he claims that the bags are more affordable, instead of going to a supermarket that’s ‘ripping their customers off’ during the cost-of-living crisis.

Asda’s 30p price is matched by rivals Sainsbury’s and Tesco, however Aldi and Lidl are both cheaper at 25p and 20p respectively and Morrisons sells paper bags for just 10p.

Stephen said: ‘If we all stop shopping there, they’ll have to stand up and listen – or they’ll lose their money.

‘If you’re spending that much money on bags, and you’re going every single week, that money could be used to pay gas or electric. I’d rather put it towards electric.’

The shopper took to Twitter and called the supermarket out for their ‘ludicrous’ bag prices, urging struggling families to avoid the superstore.

‘I want them to go back the way they used to be,’ he said. ‘There shouldn’t be a cap on how much you can buy [from the Just Essential range], and the bags should go back down to 20p.’

Charges for carrier bags were introduced to try and encourage people to reuse their bags rather than create more plastic waste.

A spokesperson from Asda explained that the idea isn’t for customers to buy new bags every time they go shopping. The 30p bags are intended as ‘bags for life’ and they will replace any that break free of charge.

However, the cost-of-living activist has made it clear that he will not be setting foot in the supermarket until Asda ‘takes notice’ and adheres to his demands.

They started at 5p

Comment

He's obviously similar to my feckwhit relations next door. I've never seen so many bags for life bought and never reused.

Then again I've never thrown away 60 litres of out of date food before.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        They started at 5p
        The disposable plastic ones did but these are bags for life you cretin
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          He's obviously similar to my feckwhit relations next door. I've never seen so many bags for life bought and never reused.

Got a relative who works in a supermarket.
          To me a lot of people don't pay for the bags, don't scan them on the self checkouts, and most staff cant be arsed to challenge it.
          Same for lots of shop lifting at the self scan checkouts during peak times.. staff don't bother unless its blatant, not like they get a bonus for challenging shop lifters or people who don't pay for bags.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 18 November 2022, 02:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

To me a lot of people don't pay for the bags, don't scan them on the self checkouts, and most staff cant be arsed to challenge it.
            Same for lots of shop lifting at the self scan checkouts during peak times.. staff don't bother unless its blatant, not like they get a bonus for challenging shop lifters or people who don't pay for bags.
            Depends on the level of blatentness.

My favourite example was a homeless woman at Sainsbury's in Tottenham Court Road. Picked up what she wanted, queued for the self service tills (as you couldn't bypass the queue) and then just sprinted out the shop.

Security Guard said she did it daily and no one bothered because it was only food for herself.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The Police won't do anything unless its £200 so all the scallies stop at £199.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

The best shop for shop lifting in my area use to be the local Co-op as the staff did shifts there around the other local supermarkets that paid better. \People would walk out of large boxes of beer even though they were the furthest from the door. Now there is no point shop lifting as the shelves are hardly ever full. The funny thing is at the same time as not having full shelves they have implemented more measures to deter shop lifters.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Depends on the level of blatentness.

My favourite example was a homeless woman at Sainsbury's in Tottenham Court Road. Picked up what she wanted, queued for the self service tills (as you couldn't bypass the queue) and then just sprinted out the shop.

Security Guard said she did it daily and no one bothered because it was only food for herself.
                  I've been in Sainsburys in my local area and seen younger men stopped for trying to walk out with what is their lunch they haven't paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    The Police won't do anything unless its £200 so all the scallies stop at £199.
                    Sainsburys uses Civil Recovery.

Comment

Working...
                    X