• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COP27

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COP27

1. Posted at 9:569:56Critics underestimate ability of human race to achieve climate goals - Johnson

Earlier, Boris Johnson said critics "underestimated" the ability of the human race to achieve climate goals set during COP26.

He recounted how a Telegraph colleague, who happened to be an aide of his, scoffed at the idea of turning to wind power, on the grounds that it was "medieval technology".

He remembers replying that burning oil was "positively Paleolithic" in comparison.

He went on to say that moving towards clean energy was something that could be done.

"The critics of this agenda massively underestimate the ability to harness the natural world," he said, referencing examples of innovative carbon solutions in both China and the US.

As our climate editor Justin Rowlatt noted earlier, Johnson himself once criticised wind power as not capable of “pulling the skin off a rice pudding”.
      Article share tools
    2. Posted at 9:409:40Johnson says he is glad Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is here

Johnson is asked whether he was worried when the current Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he wouldn't be attending the COP27 summit due to preparations for the UK government's Budget on 17 November.

Johnson replies: "The prime minister's here. I'm glad he's here. He's made an outstanding speech the other day. He's on absolutely the right lines."

He adds he is attending the conference as a "foot soldier and spear carrier of the Conservative Party, purely in a supportive role to remind the world of what we did in Glasgow".

He says he wants "to make the key point" that there is a "risk" that some people will "go weak and wobbly on net zero".
      Article share tools
    3. Posted at 9:379:37This is not the moment to go weak on net zero, says Johnson

Boris Johnson tells the audience that he's very worried about the UK's target of reaching "net zero" carbon emissions by 2050.

"The reason I'm here is because I am worried that the discussion about Ukraine, about what's happening there, is having all sorts of bad effects," he says. "It's making people anxious about net zero, it's making people anxious about whether we can really do it.

"The point I'm trying to get across to you today is that this is not the moment to go weak on net zero, this is the moment to double down on green technology and to double down on wind power and clean green solutions.

"This is not the moment to give in to Putin's energy blackmail."

Some Conservative MPs have called for a re-think of how the UK gets to net zero, with candidates in the summer's Tory leadership contest voicing concerns about the economic cost.

Johnson says recognises there are plenty of people who disagree with him on this point but that the Ukraine war and its consequences is absolutely a struggle between right and wrong.

Many countries globally have agreed to meet the net zero target, which scientists say is necessary to slow global warming and reduce the risk of severe consequences from climate change.
      Article share tools
    4. Posted at 9:349:34Private sector has to help fix climate issue - Johnson

"At what point does it just become imperative for Britain and the Unites States and others to simply just do more?" New York Times journalist Max Bearak asks now.

Johnson replies budgetary pressures are "massive right now".

"But that doesn't mean that we in the UK are not doing a huge amount. We continue to give huge sums of assistance.

"I think it's important though to recognise there is a gap. At COP26, we said the developed world would come up with $100bn a year, we are way short of that at the moment.

"The taxpayer in the developed world is going to have to do some things, but it can't do everything, certainly not right now.

"The best way forward are programmes like the Eskom deal with South Africa... and to use government activity and intervention to trigger the private sector to come in. That is the real solution I think.

"The answer to this problem is going to be found in a partnership between an activist international community, but the private sector has got to do it."

So glad the world has this visionary there to promote this topic.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

All preparation for the "Great Reset" - stock up on shotgun shells and tins of baked beans.

Personally, I'm ok, I know where Zeity lives and have the combination to his gun safe(s)!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      So glad the world has this visionary there to promote this topic.
      Someone who has spent several years leading a G7 nation probably has some decent insight. I am a bit surprised to see Boris bitten by the Green bug but his comments seem reasonable.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

He's right to be worried that net zero will be achieved by 2050. There is a positive correlation between the number of climate conferences and the amount of global CO2 emissions.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Someone who has spent several years leading a G7 nation probably has some decent insight. I am a bit surprised to see Boris bitten by the Green bug but his comments seem reasonable.
          BOJO didn't actually do much though. In a decade the Tories could have instigated net zero new homes, retrofit insulation in all rented homes and in most private homes. Energy security etc. Water & food security.

what did they do? feck all just like the previous governments.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

BOJO didn't actually do much though. In a decade the Tories could have instigated net zero new homes, retrofit insulation in all rented homes and in most private homes. Energy security etc. Water & food security.

what did they do? feck all just like the previous governments.
            He offset all the carbon from the lock down parties I believe.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Good luck trying to reach anything zero by some random year if everyone keeps carrying like normal and saying they will offset emissions. It's the same kind of sham "solution" as recycling plastics, it's only there to make people feel good that they are doing something about it. Look at the idiotic decision to have the world cup in Qatar and the amount of CO2 they generate building all the infrastructure which will see bollocks use after it's all done and dusted.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                Good luck trying to reach anything zero by some random year if everyone keeps carrying like normal and saying they will offset emissions. It's the same kind of sham "solution" as recycling plastics, it's only there to make people feel good that they are doing something about it. Look at the idiotic decision to have the world cup in Qatar and the amount of CO2 they generate building all the infrastructure which will see bollocks use after it's all done and dusted.
                we need to make big changes but most will either be cheap for the government (changing planning & building regulations to net zero & use green replacement materials), positive (more green energy) or at minimal cost(EVs).

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

we need to make big changes but most will either be cheap for the government (changing planning & building regulations to net zero & use green replacement materials), positive (more green energy) or at minimal cost(EVs).
                  Always good to hear an optimist speak...

To use replacement materials, first you need materials. There are already rules about insulation levels (the biggest short term solution to saving energy) but they could be stiffer. Most of the building is either wood ( a fair bit of which is recycled or otherwise engineered) or "brick"-based, so the overall saving at that level is minimal.

More green energy - well yes, but point me to any that don't require backup energy generation or covering the country with solar panels.

Current EVs are not minimal cost - their lifetime cost is higher than a well-engineered petrol vehicle. Hydrogen is the obvious solution, but not until we have safe, portable storage solutions.

And first, how will you stop the US, China, India and Indonesia from ignoring the whole net-zero approach - because they are the problem, not Europe. Personally I fail to grasp the rush to crash our economy when we are less than 1% of the problem.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Always good to hear an optimist speak...

To use replacement materials, first you need materials. There are already rules about insulation levels (the biggest short term solution to saving energy) but they could be stiffer. Most of the building is either wood ( a fair bit of which is recycled or otherwise engineered) or "brick"-based, so the overall saving at that level is minimal.

More green energy - well yes, but point me to any that don't require backup energy generation or covering the country with solar panels.

Current EVs are not minimal cost - their lifetime cost is higher than a well-engineered petrol vehicle. Hydrogen is the obvious solution, but not until we have safe, portable storage solutions.

And first, how will you stop the US, China, India and Indonesia from ignoring the whole net-zero approach - because they are the problem, not Europe. Personally I fail to grasp the rush to crash our economy when we are less than 1% of the problem.
                    Making all new builds net zero will place a cost on the builders not the government. Becoming the world leaders in Green concrete (the most damaging building material but you can save 75% of waste using suitable materials) , HRV 90%, water saving 70-80% won't harm our economy it will gain us exports. Bricks can be substituted by Eco friendly concrete blocks which can also be pre insulated.

Wave, Solar and wind are all doing great, now we need storage that can be Hydro,Heat or other again becoming world leaders is not a bad thing.

Well you make imports dependent on green credentials, tariffs for those not cutting waste.

Comment

Working...
                    X