• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini Budget aka Fiscal Statement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

JPC Consensus is for an easy life is change clients for a contract outside next year, rather than stay with this client.
    Our advice in 2017 and 2021 was to change agency / client if your status changed.

Our advice for 2023 has to be the same - move to a different agency / client if you currently have an inside IR35 contract and are returning to an outside contract...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
      Any predictions for the "what ever the thing is called" on Friday.
      Well I never predicted what we got today.

Comment

No one will win the next election.
        Only 2 years until the GE, which means Tories won't yet be bitten by how they are supposed to pay for it and will instead just get lauded for all the low taxes and free money. Easy re-election. Then collapse leading up to 2030 and a Labour government.

However Just think if they removed IR35 all together. Most big companies would not employee anyone. Only contractors.
        Eh? prior to IR35 being introduced in 2000 employment was just the much the norm as it is now.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

HMRC: Did you accept that this role was Inside before April 2023
          JPC: Yes
          HMRC: Do you accept that is role is Outside after April 2023
          HMRC: Has anything changed with your working practices?
          JPC: No
          HMRC: We’re you lying then or are you lying now
          JPC: Erm…..

I suspect its more

JPC: No, but despite me demonstrating multiple times that the role was outside the client wouldnt take the risk and I had bills to pay so just accepted their decision even though I thought then (and now) that it was wrong.

Im sure I posted on here back in march 21 about being in the same situation myself, client was tulipting it, wouldnt entertain putting us outside even though we (the contractors) along with QDOS and most of the managing staff at the client demonstrated that we were outside.

Funny story, they had to reverse that decision in summer 2021 because all the contractors left and they couldn't hire anyone decent to do an inside role - I was already elsewhere by then and have refused inside roles since.

Comment

Gilts crashing which will drive interest rates up so causing more borrowing causing gilts to crash further causing more borrowing causing gilts to crash further.....

oops
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Our advice in 2017 and 2021 was to change agency / client if your status changed.

Our advice for 2023 has to be the same - move to a different agency / client if you currently have an inside IR35 contract and are returning to an outside contract...
              Not entirely realistic with non solicitation clauses etc. You can't just leave and join with some other agency halfway through a project. HMRC are at fault, QDOS or whoever assessing should be enough to grant us a certified exception we are outside/inside IR35 and that's the end of it. Never should there be this eternal 'we have final judgement and that can be any time any year' bs. People have committed suicide over this exception HMRC seem to rely on.

We all know HMRC will only ever attempt to decipher their tax law in their favour.

This is my point i think HMRC should be forced to change we are not all guilty by default. The more we are made to suffocate the more we will try and find an air pocket that's just natural.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

JPC: Erm…..
                Hehe you're twisting my words HMRC and there lies the issue.

That's like saying we will continue shaft you with Double NI as you agreed to accept it under your existing Umbrella agreement.

If HMRC honestly think as above they shouldn't be working there, as that's clearly a prejudiced mindset bereft of logic. If i pass the offparyoll test irrespective in this current contract agreement then HMRC can frown and rub their chin all they want, its their rules and we are abiding by them?
                Again this is the challenge that should be brought to them, "are you persuing this investigation because you resent what i am doing or believe i am actually non compliant with the scope of being outside IR35?"

JPC: No but i agreed to comply with inside IR35 process in order to be employed under the contract law in this instance.
                JPC: I don't accept i have clear evidence that it is now and has been throughout.
                JPC: No that's your prejudice we aren't all liars perhaps you need some HR training. Go read through my contract and come back and apologise.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post

I suspect its more

JPC: No, but despite me demonstrating multiple times that the role was outside the client wouldnt take the risk and I had bills to pay so just accepted their decision even though I thought then (and now) that it was wrong.

Im sure I posted on here back in march 21 about being in the same situation myself, client was tulipting it, wouldnt entertain putting us outside even though we (the contractors) along with QDOS and most of the managing staff at the client demonstrated that we were outside.

Funny story, they had to reverse that decision in summer 2021 because all the contractors left and they couldn't hire anyone decent to do an inside role - I was already elsewhere by then and have refused inside roles since.
                  Yep absolutely agree here Snarf. This is where i am also, i have an old client needing me back but im not going there until we go back outside as their capped rate with IR35 current rules would mean im better off at Mcdonalds (almost). And yes it is clearly a consultancy role.

Comment

Dividend tax rate reduced too?

Comment

Originally posted by JPC View Post

Not entirely realistic with non solicitation clauses etc. You can't just leave and join with some other agency halfway through a project. HMRC are at fault, QDOS or whoever assessing should be enough to grant us a certified exception we are outside/inside IR35 and that's the end of it. Never should there be this eternal 'we have final judgement and that can be any time any year' bs. People have committed suicide over this exception HMRC seem to rely on.

We all know HMRC will only ever attempt to decipher their tax law in their favour.

This is my point i think HMRC should be forced to change we are not all guilty by default. The more we are made to suffocate the more we will try and find an air pocket that's just natural.
                      But you can at renewal go reject the renewal and work somewhere else.... That is what a lot of people are going to do..

And the 1 thing that is worth emphasising is that under the 2000 rules HMRC do not have the resources to run that many cases...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X