• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where would you travel for short trips, on your own?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Now you're learning. It also helps if you're delusional
    FTFY.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

I wouldn't mind meeting people on the way, or join groups etc, but I'm also OK being on my own.

Have you been on interesting trips alone to places that you would recommend?
      A few thoughts from things friends have done ...
      - An organised group cycling trip, such as a stretch of the Danube or the Rhine. Electric bike optional.
      - A special interest cruise, for what ever special interest you have. e.g. antartic
      - A berth on a gulet in Turkey or thereabouts and explore islands in the sun with others doing the hard work!
      - One of those villa trips with a learning focus, be that painting, yoga, photography, cooking or whatever.
      - Go on safari

And ones I'd recommend personally ...
      - Someone else mentioned Egypt. I'd highly recommend, including a Nile cruise, a personal guide for the Cairo museum, Luxor etc. Sail a felucca on the Nile.

- A sailing course, in the Med or Canaries. It's easy to book your own cabin and you get to spend time with a group of people, seeing places and sailing in the sun. Caters for all experience levels. Avoid if you get sea sick!

- For a short trip, St Kilda. Getting late in the year now for trips there though.

Last edited by Protagoras; 12 September 2022, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Only time had anything similar was a drunk lad thinking we were a taxi or something...
        That happened to me some years ago.
        I was stopped at lights near Oxford Street when a drunk chap got into my car thinking I was a taxi.
        "To Archway please buddy"
        I thought, what the heck, I'm going in that direction, and I have time to kill, so I drove on a mile or so, eastbound.
        20 minutes later I realised I had confused "Archway" and "Kingsway" - and he was no nearer his destination - which is in North London.
        I explained we were no nearer where he needed to be, but he was very understanding, saying: "Here's £20 fare for getting me this far".
        I didn't have the heart to take it.

Comment

Has anyone suggested walking yet? If you enjoy your own company than this seems a potentially excellent way to spend some time and see bits of the world from new perspectives. I'm sure you can do it in fair amounts of luxury - and obviously you can do it virtually anywhere.

I have effectively been on solo holidays when caretaking my late parents' house in Cornwall... a few times I went down for a week on my own, once even for 3-4 weeks. A bit of work, swimming in the sea, lots of reading and chilling.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Has anyone suggested walking yet? If you enjoy your own company than this seems a potentially excellent way to spend some time and see bits of the world from new perspectives. I'm sure you can do it in fair amounts of luxury - and obviously you can do it virtually anywhere.

I have effectively been on solo holidays when caretaking my late parents' house in Cornwall... a few times I went down for a week on my own, once even for 3-4 weeks. A bit of work, swimming in the sea, lots of reading and chilling.
            Virtual walking trip?

Comment

As previously suggested "Camino Francés". Loads of people from all over the world doing it. Meet up and the end of each day. BTW. The walk is free.

https://santiagoways.com/en/camino-d...amino-frances/
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

As previously suggested "Camino Francés". Loads of people from all over the world doing it. Meet up and the end of each day. BTW. The walk is free.

https://santiagoways.com/en/camino-d...amino-frances/
                If he's going to do that, I'd suggest adding on the Camino Finisterre. The views are worth going to the end of the world.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If it's important that you have other people to share the experience with, it's worth looking at organised trips which involve a group.

For example, my daughter and I went on a brilliant trip to Egypt about 10 years ago with a company called Explore (https://www.explore.co.uk/), we were in a group of about 12 people, none of us knew each other at the start but we got to know everyone just by being with them most of the time.

Two of my daughters have also done trips across the southern states of the US with Contiki (https://www.contiki.com/en-gb), you're travelling with a group for a couple of weeks so you get to know them.

Or, as mentioned before, cruises are good because there are chances to meet and chat with people and, if you hit it off, you can arrange to meet up in the daytime or evenings and go ashore together etc; but the ships are usually large enough that if you'd prefer to never talk to that person again, they're fairly easy to avoid

But if all you're looking for is a recommendation for a short break, I can personally recommend off the top of my head Valencia, Seville, Budapest, Prague, Paris, Lisbon, Vienna, Barcelona as having lots of beautiful stuff to see, some great food, and enough to keep most people occupied for at least a long weekend.

Comment

If money is no issue you can always engage a professional traveling companion.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If money is no issue you can always engage a professional traveling companion.
                      And this is your niece sir?
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X