• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pronouns

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Dear human.
    Don't get me started with the modern fashion to refer to someone as a "human" rather than a "person"... e.g. "they're a wonderful human".

Or "best version of yourself"... sheesh. It's a person not a git repository.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
      Yes just starting to see this with a line saying 'my pronouns are' or simply the required pronouns in brackets after the name. Utter bollocks in my view as whatever you are you are and it tends to be obvious
      Or not bollocks if they have had the operation.

Comment

I've seen that in a few email signatures. It's not just for transgender issues; it's also useful if you have an "ambiguous" name, eg:
        * Alex (could be short for Alexander or Alexandra)
        * Chris (could be short for Christopher or Christine)
        * Sam (could be short for Samuel or Samantha)

There might also be names which are less common. E.g. the new Doctor (in Doctor Who) has the first name Ncuti, pronounced "shooty". That's the first time I've come across this name, so if I'd seen it in an email chain then I wouldn't know whether the person was male or female.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
          it tends to be obvious
          There's quite a few of them theys now.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
            I've seen that in a few email signatures. It's not just for transgender issues; it's also useful if you have an "ambiguous" name, eg:
            * Sam (could be short for Samuel or Samantha).
            True but why do I need to know your gender to reply to an email?
            Some companies have started redacting things like name from CVs IIRC because it provably improves hiring to avoid people being rejected due to "having a funny name" or likely gender.

Comment

There might also be names which are less common. E.g. the new Doctor (in Doctor Who) has the first name Ncuti, pronounced "shooty". That's the first time I've come across this name, so if I'd seen it in an email chain then I wouldn't know whether the person was male or female.
              Maybe society should learn not to stereotype people. Doesn't both me if Robin, Chris, Sam or Zion are male or female.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                True but why do I need to know your gender to reply to an email?
                Some companies have started redacting things like name from CVs IIRC because it provably improves hiring to avoid people being rejected due to "having a funny name" or likely gender.
                Wow - I actually agree with you.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Wow - I actually agree with you.
                  It sounds (maybe) like "wokeness" but I think there are legit studies behind it that showing people the same CV with "Martin" replaced with "Sanjit" or "Shiela" got different results. Gender and Race aside, all my teacher friends like to joke about how "Connors are always naughty" so I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of unconscious bias happens too. Would Wayne get as good a chance as John?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    why do I need to know your gender to reply to an email?
                    You probably don't, unless you want to start your reply with "Dear Sir" or "Dear Ms Smith".

It would mainly be relevant if you're using a 3rd person pronoun. E.g. "I'm going to be on annual leave next week, but I've cc-ed this email to hobnob. Please can you keep him up to date on your progress."

Comment

Not a problem just sign yourself Mr, Mrs or Miss or if you're a Dr or some such then just use that

Comment

Working...
                      X