• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of living

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of living

So noticed our food bill has not been below £100 a week for a few months and decided to do a budget comparison compared to last August. Looks like we are spending an extra £600 a month of basic living expenses (Food, Mortgage - recently moved to a new 5 year deal, Energy). I had noticed prices creeping up but shocked when I looked at the three basics.

Make Mercia Great Again!

I don’t think our food bill has been below £150 a week for more than a year and there’s only two of us. That is probably excessive by average standards, idk. It has probably doubled in the last 6 years or so and will likely double again rather sooner.

Comment

Keep Excel sheets of all my bank statements. Did a 2 month check compared to last August and increased from £52.03 to £52.85! Beginning of year was £52.5. Think some of this cost of living increase is fake news!

£150 for two? You ain't MF are you? Or maybe cut out the whisky.

bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's certainly not fake news. We buy roughly the same basic shopping list of day-to-day stuff and food basics most weeks, it's gone up about 12% over the last year.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

We're just trying to eke out the money we've got until we can draw our state pensions in a few years. At least these should more or less keep pace with this "rerun of the 1970s" now the triple lock has been reinstated.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

It's certainly not fake news
            Wasn't being serious d00000000000000000000gh. Dunno. Maybe I just happen to buy the least affected things. The supermarket luck monster. Excluding the major one off costs of revamping my house, I am still getting about the same net income less costs.

Being a mean old sod helps, some people are incredibly wasteful. Maybe this inflation will be a good thing in one way, when people start following the online tips to save money, turning their hot water settings down to save energy costs etc. Good green effect!
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              £150 for two?
              I'm not sure how we spend that much. Neither of us is a blimp like MF and we don't shop at Waitrose. We do use the Fish Society, which is pretty pricey, but that isn't included in the weekly spend, come to think of it. I suppose it is a pretty outrageous amount when I think that my mother probably spends £35 a week on food shopping, but then she likes to cook and we both hate cooking (anything serious). It's probably that we have the luxury of not caring - we don't especially look for offers or whatever.

Comment

Money Saving Tips

4 Affordable Alternatives to Dom Perignon

https://www.thekitchn.com/4-affordab...erignon-227823
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Family of five, shocked to see our monthly supermarket spend hit £1250 in June

It used to be around £900 a month, a year or two ago, and i was never happy with that, but now £900 a month seems low in comparison.

We would buy whatever we fancy whenever we feel like it, never kept a count of spend, but will now budget to keep supermarket spending at £1000 a month max.
                  Last edited by Fraidycat; 7 August 2022, 06:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                    Family of five, shocked to see our monthly supermarket spend hit £1250 in June

It used to be around £900 a month, a year or two ago, and i was never happy with that, but now £900 a month seems low in comparison.

We would buy whatever we fancy whenever we feel like it, never kept a count of spend, but will now budget to keep supermarket spending at £1000 a month max.
                    If you're spending that much, definitely worth bothering with voucher discount things - e.g if you have access to perkbox (e.g as an IPSE member) you can get 4% off at Tesco and Asda, 5% at Sainsbury and Morrison. Given the 'essentials' membership is just £95 a year (doesn't include the insurances that most people enjoy - for that you need standard or plus) it's worth joining up for that alone. £10 off essentials membership with https://www.ipse.co.uk/joinme/066626/ (or £50 off plus!)

Comment

Working...
                    X