• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

13% inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13% inflation

Apparently as well as rising interest rates and recession, inflation will exceed 13%.

So this means anything I'm considering buying, I should do so now rather than later to save money. But buying increases demand, which puts pressure on supply, which forces prices up, sustaining inflation.
    On the other hand isn't the normal rhetoric that we're supposed to spend our way out of recession; hoarding our savings reduces economic growth and prolongs the recession?

What is the correct response then? Spend or save?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Look for good investments.
    If you cant find any, keep your powder dry, keep your cash safe..

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      correct response
      Correct how?

The correct response for dying with lots of money is to never spend any.

The state of the economy really makes no difference to my spending habits. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
        Look for good investments.
        If you cant find any, keep your powder dry, keep your cash safe..
        And lose 13% of its value per annum. Great advice.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Minus 1 or 2% interest Still if firms are going bust you could lose your capital in stocks and shares Not going to be a pretty picture in the short term

Comment

Look for good investments
            Got lot of spare cash. Been investing in dribs and drabs relying on articles I've read in papers, spreading around, not too much on one thing. Lucky so far, all shares I've brought in last few months are up, some by over 14%.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Correct how?
              In the sense of what behaviour from the population would make it better and what would make it worse, not your personal habits. In a recession you get a vicious spiral that people stop spending which means the economy suffers which means people have even less to spend...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Obviously, bitcoin is the answer

Comment

In the sense of what behaviour from the population would make it better and what would make it worse, not your personal habits. In a recession you get a vicious spiral that people stop spending which means the economy suffers which means people have even less to spend...
                  Better or worse for whom? There are massive differential impacts from low growth and from high inflation. That said, the cause of this inflation is still primarily an external energy (specifically, gas) price shock, which will eventually dissipate. Recessions are always a bigger risk in the medium-term because they translate into higher unemployment, but the BoE is seemingly not too bothered about this as the current labour market is tight and/or sees a bigger risk of a longer recession from embedded inflation that extends beyond energy, mainly to wages.

Overall, spending makes sense if you want higher growth and to avert a recession and prices will continue to rise anyway, as long as there is an external energy price shock. In all scenarios, people with low disposable income that is mainly spent on food and energy are stuffed this winter and the gov’t will have to intervene bigly, yet again. After which, there is probably a half-decent chance on an early election.

Comment

Apparently as well as rising interest rates and recession, inflation will exceed 13%.

So this means anything I'm considering buying, I should do so now rather than later to save money. But buying increases demand, which puts pressure on supply, which forces prices up, sustaining inflation.
                    On the other hand isn't the normal rhetoric that we're supposed to spend our way out of recession; hoarding our savings reduces economic growth and prolongs the recession?

What is the correct response then? Spend or save?
                    When the government use cake decorations as an example for reduced prices then the true inflation rate is more like 23%
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X