• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hosepipe Bans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few miles from me (actually the village I lived in) a friend posted this the other day - they think the baling inadvertently led to a fire somehow.
    View from their house...

Click image for larger version

Name:	fieldfire.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	4229554
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We've got a stubble field next to us. They harvested the wheat over a week ago, and left the straw down for a few days which was as crispy as hell. I was relieved when they finally baled it, although it never crossed my mind that this could have ignited it.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        We've got a stubble field next to us. They harvested the wheat over a week ago, and left the straw down for a few days which was as crispy as hell. I was relieved when they finally baled it, although it never crossed my mind that this could have ignited it.
        If you've ever stood on a sled behind a baler stacking the bales you will be well aware of how much heat is generated by the machinery in front of you!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          b)get people reporting a fire and have a fire engine turn up
          Yes our local stately home organised a beacon for the platinum jubilee which we all went to. As we we're swigging our drinks and enjoying the spectacle of the burning beacon and spying others on the horizon the fire brigade turned up to deal with the out of control fire some concerned member of the public had reported. Gave us a laugh especially as all necessary permissions had been applied for and received

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Very inconvenient, I have a lot of garden rubbish to burn but I don't want to a)be the idiot who has to call the fire brigade when their garden fire gets out of hand b)get people reporting a fire and have a fire engine turn up
            Although it's going to rain all weekend so I'll do it after that has dried a bit.
            Rain!

You get rain -
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Rain!

You get rain -
              We might get some Monday/Tuesday

For now, I'm getting all my laundry done

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                They were reckoning it could just be a bit of metal or glass but when things get really dry, a single spark is all it takes. I'm not sure the UK is that dry even now, but it might be.

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

Yes our local stately home organised a beacon for the platinum jubilee which we all went to. As we we're swigging our drinks and enjoying the spectacle of the burning beacon and spying others on the horizon the fire brigade turned up to deal with the out of control fire some concerned member of the public had reported. Gave us a laugh especially as all necessary permissions had been applied for and received
                Yeah I have established you can call the boys in red and tell them "I'm having a fire in my field" - round here we do get kids setting fires in the countryside and it's never easy to tell if smoke is from that, or a farmer just burning stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Rain!

You get rain -
                  Most of the UK gets rain next week, all week. So enjoy the last of the heat wave
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Most of the UK gets rain next week, all week. So enjoy the last of the heat wave
                    Looking at London the highest percentage guess currently is a 34% chance of rain. So not necessarily -
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

We were forecast solid rain for 3 days but the newer forecast now has "maybe a bit" on Monday. In fact next week's forecast of sun & clouds, 20C sounds about perfect... but a day or two of rain would be nice!

Comment

Working...
                      X