• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cry me a river!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cry me a river!

Seems that they did the automation on the cheap

https://hackaday.com/2022/07/25/mcte...glar-a-chance/

The golden arches of a McDonald’s restaurant are a ubiquitous feature of life in so many parts of the world, and while their food might not be to all tastes their comforting familiarity draws in many a weary traveller. There was a time when buying a burger meant a conversation with a spotty teen behind the till, but now the transaction is more likely to take place at a terminal with a large touch screen. These terminals have caught the attention of [Geoff Huntley], who has written about their surprising level of vulnerability.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Who ever had a conversation with the person serving behind the counter at McD that wasn't about how you don't want fries with that? I do chat to the 'greeters' or whatever they are who now sort of just loiter around the kiosks - round here they are often middle-aged rather than spotty teenagers and normally pretty friendly.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Who ever had a conversation with the person serving behind the counter at McD that wasn't about how you don't want fries with that? I do chat to the 'greeters' or whatever they are who now sort of just loiter around the kiosks - round here they are often middle-aged rather than spotty teenagers and normally pretty friendly.
      You mean McDs pays a higher wage than being a care worker?

Who knew....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Who knew....
        Don't knock McDs. I have a cousin who started as a burger flipper, moved up to become senior Operations Manager, and wound up as a franchise owner with 200 staff, now CEO of a fairly serious charity.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Who knew....
          I don't mean that at all. Rather, there are lots of middle-aged people in low-level jobs.
          But as Mal says there are far worse places to work. The people normally seem fairly happy when you watch them work, are friendly (when you can hear them) through the drive-through thingie, etc. Maybe that's an oop north thing, but it suggests to me it's not a terrible place to be working.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            The people normally seem fairly happy when you watch them work
            That is because the unhappy ones don't tend to hang around.

Still working at McDs is not nearly as bad as working in a food production factory, spending your day at 3 degrees above freezing, dressed in head to toe PPE, like quite a few of my indian relatives do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYzi5RYR02mG6LJl-XjoyJvBBkV_urPPgQP82B3TSWtHBALQSAZt9LFSmXC8LxZy7OhzY&usqp=CAU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.0 KB ID:	4228191
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 31 July 2022, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Still working at McDs is not nearly as bad as working in a food production factory, spending your day at 3 degrees above freezing, dressed in head to toe PPE, like quite a few of my indian relatives do.

Click image for larger version Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYzi5RYR02mG6LJl-XjoyJvBBkV_urPPgQP82B3TSWtHBALQSAZt9LFSmXC8LxZy7OhzY&usqp=CAU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.0 KB ID:	4228191
              Ready meals or airplane food?

I know there are factories for both within a reasonable distance of Heathrow.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 31 July 2022, 09:37.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Stopped at petrol station to get some fuel a couple of days ago and saw a big queue. Thought, oh no! the shortages are back! Then realised the queue was not for the pumps but for the McDonalds drive through. People must be stocking up on burgers before the prices rise.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYzi5RYR02mG6LJl-XjoyJvBBkV_urPPgQP82B3TSWtHBALQSAZt9LFSmXC8LxZy7OhzY&usqp=CAU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.0 KB ID:	4228191
                  Now the eastern Europeans who undercut the locals have gone home they are having trouble finding people to work for them!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X