• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do they charge to fit indicators or front end collision sensors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do they charge to fit indicators or front end collision sensors?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ted-seats.html

BMW does a Ryanair: Backlash over budget airline-style extra fees to use heated seats
    • BMW to charge its car owners to use certain features including heated seats
    • The hardware that delivers these functions turns them on via a remote upload
    • The German car giant's move has been condemned by drivers on social media
    just.....
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I wonder if it's the case it's cheaper for BMW to fit them as standard than to make it an add-on?
    No doubt you'll be able to hack them.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Do you need a subscription to start the engine?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I wonder if it's the case it's cheaper for BMW to fit them as standard than to make it an add-on?
        No doubt you'll be able to hack them.
        oh it probably is they are just trying the subscription model to make more moolah, if we tolerate this then all cars will be sold fully loaded then crippled for cash.

I'm sure they will be hacked until the manufacturers and insurers classify them as modified and claim they are unsafe.

You probably see this happening

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xykk...inian-firmware

Comment

I don't want heated seats but it sort of makes sense that they could charge a subscription for software features like self-driving/driving aids (adaptive cruise control, etc) as long as your subscription gets you updates. Tesla are always doing software updates, including ones that improve performance - though you don't pay IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I don't want heated seats but it sort of makes sense that they could charge a subscription for software features like self-driving/driving aids (adaptive cruise control, etc) as long as your subscription gets you updates. Tesla are always doing software updates, including ones that improve performance - though you don't pay IIRC.
            My car manufacturer charges £35 to update the sat nav software. Its coming.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Yeah that's been going on for years, that's if you can get an update.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

£35 Sounds very cheap. Articles and stories on the internet of dealers charging £100s.

Comment

We bought a new Skoda at the beginning of the year, went a bit hairshirt and didn't choose too many options (sat nav etc). Turns out we have the same hardware and it is all in there, with occasional pestering to upgrade but frankly I wouldn't want their navigation anyway when I've got Android auto. You can also do some really stupid things like pay for extra packs of light colours for the internal led system. All one off payments tho, to be fair, to actually pay an ongoing subscription for any of these options would be madness but no doubt car-as-a-service is on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                    We bought a new Skoda at the beginning of the year, went a bit hairshirt and didn't choose too many options (sat nav etc). Turns out we have the same hardware and it is all in there, with occasional pestering to upgrade but frankly I wouldn't want their navigation anyway when I've got Android auto. You can also do some really stupid things like pay for extra packs of light colours for the internal led system. All one off payments tho, to be fair, to actually pay an ongoing subscription for any of these options would be madness but no doubt car-as-a-service is on the way.
                    This is normal with most if not all car manufactures, sometimes you may need to add a switch or two. Any decent diag and test software can activate the extras an no cost.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X