• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Red Alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Alert

Met office has released first ever red warning for Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/warnings/weather

Red warning of extreme heat

Areas affected: East Midlands | East of England | London & South East England | North West England | South West England | West Midlands | Yorkshire & Humber

Starts: 00:00 BST on Mon 18 July
    Ends: 23:59 BST on Tue 19 July

An exceptional hot spell on Monday and Tuesday leading to widespread impacts on people and infrastructure. - Population-wide adverse health effects experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to serious illness or danger to life. Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice. - Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines will be required - High risk of failure of heat-sensitive systems and equipment, potentially leading to localised loss of power and other essential services, such as water or mobile phone services - Significantly more people visiting coastal areas, lakes and rivers, leading to an increased risk of water safety incidents - Delays on roads and road closures, along with delays and cancellations to rail and air travel, with significant welfare issues for those who experience even moderate delays

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Is this brexit, illegal immigration, or covid related?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Is this brexit, illegal immigration, or covid related?
      All 3

Comment

Only Amber oop north but I've seen 33C forecasted which is incredible for here... I've never seen higher than 27 before. Currently raining.

A/C unit arrives today.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Only Amber oop north but I've seen 33C forecasted which is incredible for here... I've never seen higher than 27 before. Currently raining.

A/C unit arrives today.
          At home I opened the door from the basement and slightly opened a window on the top floor. Result; free cool air for the past three days.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

At home I opened the door from the basement and slightly opened a window on the top floor. Result; free cool air for the past three days.
            Unfortunately some homes - mostly modern homes - are built to keep heat in or have lots of glass.

Comment

Apparently the government has a plan - https://assets.publishing.service.go...ay-2022-v2.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I thought about doing this too. The trouble is it means I can hear the cries for help from the prisoners I'm holding hostage in my dungeon down there. Don't you have this problem? lol

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Unfortunately some homes - mostly modern homes - are built to keep heat in or have lots of glass.
                  Not sure where you are based in the UK, but all the new builds down south have the smallest windows known to men. Actually most houses in the UK seem to have very tiny windows, which I simply don't understand considering how little sunshine UK gets per year. Also, some companies and some people don't understand the rules of insulation, if you do it right, your house / flat / office stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter and yes you can have fairly largish well insulated windows and still not loose any heat in the winter (and draw blinds in the summer to avoid heating up the insides). Half of mainland Europe knows this, but somehow that info never made it to the UK...

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

I thought about doing this too. The trouble is it means I can hear the cries for help from the prisoners I'm holding hostage in my dungeon down there. Don't you have this problem? lol
                    INKSPE

some of us have stables in the grounds!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X