• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Red Alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was growing up in India, it was normal to encounter temperature of 40 degrees during monsoon season in Delhi. We had no air conditioning either.

I think many of the problems are down to western huses and western clothing.

I was always head to foot in long flowing cloths and I never suffered any ill effects from the hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Baddish View Post
      When I was growing up in India, it was normal to encounter temperature of 40 degrees during monsoon season in Delhi. We had no air conditioning either.

I think many of the problems are down to western huses and western clothing.

I was always head to foot in long flowing cloths and I never suffered any ill effects from the hot.
      The UK has a temperate climate. So our infrastructure isn't built to deal with extremes of temperature.

And 50% of the population are stupid.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Heatwaves aren't new to Britain:
        1911 United Kingdom heat wave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1911_U...gdom_heat_wave

Fatalities became common and newspapers such as The Times ran Deaths by heat columns as temperatures continued to rise. The heat also caused indirect deaths, by melting the asphalt on roads, causing numerous accidents
        It appears they still don't have a solution for melting asphalt during a heatwave after a hundred years.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Not sure where you are based in the UK, but all the new builds down south have the smallest windows known to men. Actually most houses in the UK seem to have very tiny windows, which I simply don't understand considering how little sunshine UK gets per year. Also, some companies and some people don't understand the rules of insulation, if you do it right, your house / flat / office stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter and yes you can have fairly largish well insulated windows and still not loose any heat in the winter (and draw blinds in the summer to avoid heating up the insides). Half of mainland Europe knows this, but somehow that info never made it to the UK...
          The modern homes are generally smaller as trying to cram th into development sites is all about money , so I suppose that's why the windows are smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post

The modern homes are generally smaller as trying to cram th into development sites is all about money , so I suppose that's why the windows are smaller.
            Cheaper properties have small windows, expensive new builds have massive windows, it reminds me of Jacques Tati

BTW you need to view in full screen as it was made in 70mm

Last edited by Paddy; 15 July 2022, 20:55.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I was working in Paris during the heatwave of 2003. It wasn't fun or happy.

Well.. except that the business analysts had nabbed the best offices overlooking the garden at the start of the project. South facing. The tech team had the north facing offices with a fairly grim outlook. We kept our offices relatively cool, while the BAs melted. That made me happy.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1352.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	4226193

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  its a record....

Name:	61536-4a09394f-3bdb-4940-90f7-2d158978d963.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	4226064
                  Here's a Twitter thread from a Met Office meteorologist, saying that your image is fake:
                  Aidan McGivern on Twitter: "I’ve seen this ridiculous comparison a lot on social media during the last few days I created the Met Office temperature colour scale with help from a colleague That’s why I know: - The image on the right is doctored - Met Office graphics are not designed to cause fear ? 1/8 https://t.co/XBulpKiLWs" / Twitter

That account isn't verified, but here's a Tweet from the official Met Office account yesterday (16th July):
                  Met Office on Twitter: "Temperatures are set to climb over the coming days as a #heatwave brings extreme heat to the UK ? 40 Celsius is equivalent to 104 Fahrenheit ?️ https://t.co/rwjIvQgYwy" / Twitter

It rotates through a few images, but here's their forecast for Tuesday:

Name:	weather.png
Views:	135
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	4226213

In particular, note that the area at 33° is in light red (unlike your image); the dark red/black section is where it gets up to 40°.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Here's a Twitter thread from a Met Office meteorologist, saying that your image is fake:
                    Aidan McGivern on Twitter: "I’ve seen this ridiculous comparison a lot on social media during the last few days I created the Met Office temperature colour scale with help from a colleague That’s why I know: - The image on the right is doctored - Met Office graphics are not designed to cause fear ? 1/8 https://t.co/XBulpKiLWs" / Twitter

That account isn't verified, but here's a Tweet from the official Met Office account yesterday (16th July):
                    Met Office on Twitter: "Temperatures are set to climb over the coming days as a #heatwave brings extreme heat to the UK ? 40 Celsius is equivalent to 104 Fahrenheit ?️ https://t.co/rwjIvQgYwy" / Twitter

It rotates through a few images, but here's their forecast for Tuesday:

Name:	weather.png
Views:	135
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	4226213

In particular, note that the area at 33° is in light red (unlike your image); the dark red/black section is where it gets up to 40°.
                    i think the point is made, even if the original image was doctored.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This is how the forecast looked in 2019

Name:	FX27jNgWQAA1hsI?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	4226216
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X