• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Red Alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Again it depends where the weather station is located; for example in Bournemouth it is located at the Bournemouth (Hurn) Airport not on the beach.
    How far is Bournemouth airport from the beach?

If you read the information on the Met's website you can work out how likely the beach reached 40 degrees.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      I have a temp/humidity sensor thing 8 quid from Amazon.

In the direct sunlight it was showing 46 degrees C!

However in the shade it settled at 38.5C

That's why the Met have a list criteria of where weather stations are located for readings to be valid.

​​​​​​

Comment

Been 40 plus for most of the week. But then again I am in Turkey
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

How far is Bournemouth airport from the beach?

If you read the information on the Met's website you can work out how likely the beach reached 40 degrees.
          About three miles however, it's passed hills and a cliff and then there is the cooling of the sea therefore it can make a difference of five to eight degrees and quite often the weather is different. Its a bit like driving through an Alpine tunnel, foggy and drizzle one side and sunny and clear the other side.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Been 40 plus for most of the week. But then again I am in Turkey
            Which is set up for that heat. No melting roads there.

Oh and welcome back!

Comment

Which is set up for that heat. No melting roads there.

Oh and welcome back!
              The road builders of the early part of the 20th century knew that temperatures have topped 38 degrees in the past so don't you think they should have added in a bit of a reserve. The temperatures exceeded this for about an hour in very isolated spots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1911_U...gdom_heat_wave

37.8 °C (100.0 °F) was reported at Greenwich, London
              The roads were already melting on Monday before they reached that temperature.

I suspect if a freak low pressure had blown in a lot of hot air from North Africa in 1911 on the exact day the heatwave was peaking that the temperatures could have easily topped 40.

In 1906 the temperatures exceeded 35 degrees in September and this temperature record hasn't been broken since:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37345436

The all-time record for September of 35.6C (96.1F) was set in 1906, in Bawtry, South Yorkshire.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 July 2022, 15:03.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

The road builders of the early part of the 20th century knew that temperatures have topped 38 degrees in the past so don't you think they should have added in a bit of a reserve. The temperatures exceeded this for about an hour in very isolated spots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1911_U...gdom_heat_wave

The roads were already melting on Monday before they reached that temperature.
                What are you talking about?

The roads around where I grew up in London melted in the early 90s when the temperatures were 25-27 for a week. So the councils fixed them so they wouldn't melt until the temperature was a lot higher. On Monday no roads melted near me.

Comment

The roads around where I grew up in London melted in the early 90s when the temperatures were 25-27 for a week. So the councils fixed them so they wouldn't melt until the temperature was a lot higher. On Monday no roads melted near me.
                  You must drop the temperature wherever you go.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

That's good, but there were reports of melting roads on Monday:

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/20...atures-hit-54c
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

That's good, but there were reports of melting roads on Monday:

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/20...atures-hit-54c
                      Ah they an area in the UK where they haven't fixed the roads. Probably no need to until now unlike other areas of the country.

​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X