• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Facebook to weed out slackers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook to weed out slackers

Facebook’s head of engineering, Maher Saba, sent a memo on Friday to managers..
    “If a direct report is coasting or is a low performer, they are not who we need; they are failing this company,”

------

Why don't they do this all time instead of waiting for recessions?

I guess they want to keep some fat around to protect the productive workers from layoffs.

I worked at a client co that kept renewing work-shy contractors (they always looked busy though)
    I don't normally care it is none of my business, until they give me the work the slacker has been sitting on for the last two weeks and expect me to do it in two days

That used to annoy me no end.

Employment lawyers around the world must be rubbing their hands with glee at that news.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
      “If a direct report is coasting or is a low performer, they are not who we need; they are failing this company,”

------

I guess they want to keep some fat around to protect the productive workers from layoffs.

I worked at a client co that kept renewing work-shy contractors (they always looked busy though)
      I don't normally care it is none of my business, until they give me the work the slacker has been sitting on for the last two weeks and expect me to do it in two days

Companies like Facebook, Google, Amazon do trim the low performers all the time.

I worked for a bank that supposedly trimmed the lowest performing 10% of staff yearly but in technology at least I saw very few people let go for poor performance.

It was all done by redundancies - when you start to see e-mails bounced and people disappearing from instant messenger you know that another wave of people have been let go.

If you got a donut in your comp meeting without any spiel about it being a bad year for the bank that was as good as a P45.

Comment

FB, Google et al generally are pretty good at not hiring slackers in the first place. At least they used to be.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          FB, Google et al generally are pretty good at not hiring slackers in the first place. At least they used to be.
          I contracted at a place where they got management consultants in to get rid of the "slackers" before I arrived. It didn't work.

I then arrived and had apparently a couple of slackers with me in the team. The project was delivered on time and met all the requirements.

The "slackers" were just people who refused to brown nose management so they asked difficult questions about data security etc, ensured things were done properly and shared knowledge with others.

Oh and any actual slackers, whether permie or contractor, was got rid of very quickly.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nope - they are good at hiring smart people.

Anyone can become a slacker if they are not motivated by their work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Nope - they are good at hiring smart people.

Anyone can become a slacker if they are not motivated by their work.
              The best people are good at being self-motivated. People view these companies as being the best places to work (developers anyway) and as such they tend to hire the go-getters who actually like their work.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The best people are good at being self-motivated. People view these companies as being the best places to work (developers anyway) and as such they tend to hire the go-getters who actually like their work.
                Do you think everything inside Facebook or Google is cutting edge and intellectually stimulating?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

------

I’m noticing some rather nasty anti-slacker sentiment on this thread.

For most of us, the slower we do things, the more we get paid. Is everyone inside and a disguised permie now? Where are the businessmen and entrepreneurs?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

For most of us, the slower we do things, the more we get paid. Is everyone inside and a disguised permie now? Where are the businessmen and entrepreneurs?
                    Time based billing and being is slow is more akin to being a permie.

Real entrepreneurs quote fixed price and then do things as fast as possible to make a bigger profit.
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 13 July 2022, 12:06.

Comment

Working...
                    X