• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Captain Tom Foundation being investigated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain Tom Foundation being investigated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-800-000.html

Now is it just me but these charities set up off the back of a family member through loss or heroic efforts like Captain Tom's seem to crop up in investigations or scandals more often that not? How can ordinary people that have been thrust in to the spotlight then go on to have the skills to run a charity properly? I can't find the links as Captain Tom is all over the news but wasn't another one around a little girl investigated not so long ago? Even the BLM founders have been caught with their hands in the till. Just because they champion the cause doesn't mean they are suitable to run the charity. It was Captain Tom that did the great deed, not his family so why do they run it?

Such a shame every time it happens. Even if they get cleared of wrong doing the fact they incurred £240k of costs and only gave out £160k isn't a great outcome.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Hardly we have had all of the big ones doing naughty things. Chuggers, pestering donors, underage sex parties, dicey will donations.

I suspect its a combination of not knowing the rules and the temptation to get something out of your IP. If a large charity had done it the lawyer would have wrapped it up to be legal.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Hardly we have had all of the big ones doing naughty things. Chuggers, pestering donors, underage sex parties, dicey will donations.

I suspect its a combination of not knowing the rules and the temptation to get something out of your IP. If a large charity had done it the lawyer would have wrapped it up to be legal.
      Well we can't ignore Kids Company which was a large one so even they aren't immune but still. It just seems to happen a bit too often. Someone makes the news, a charity starts up and not long after it's dirty washing is aired and it's not good.

That said I've found the list of the charities investigated and it makes for some pretty grim reading. Only a small percentage of charities I guess. Looks like it's more noticeable because of the high profile of charities like Captain Tom and the public interest in them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ity-commission
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Since the ones that aren't investigated waste money regardless of size, it isn't surprising that some of them really overstep.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Well we can't ignore Kids Company which was a large one so even they aren't immune but still. It just seems to happen a bit too often. Someone makes the news, a charity starts up and not long after it's dirty washing is aired and it's not good.

That said I've found the list of the charities investigated and it makes for some pretty grim reading. Only a small percentage of charities I guess. Looks like it's more noticeable because of the high profile of charities like Captain Tom and the public interest in them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ity-commission
          Try this

https://register-of-charities.charit...age/1/delta/20

select in advanced search "Charities with latest documents overdue"

8653 charities with docs overdue.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It goes to show the hypocrisy doesn't it.

Captain Tom was used a a pawn to generate money for a good cause.

I'm glad I didn't give a penny towards the thing .

Comment

I wonder if there's some perception that money given to charity isn't 'real money' that leads people to think it's ok to help themselves?

I'm very wary of giving to charity these days as most have problems one way or another. I can't remember the details but there's a website where you can look up charities and see how much of their income goes on administration and how much actually gets spent on the cause they claim to support.

Comment

Been many articles over the years about how money is misused by charities, got quite a few in my lists of inneresting notes. All from Daily Mail for some reason.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Large charities are big business these days, with salaries to match. Both my Step Daughter and Husband made a conscious choice after Uni to join one as a career

Comment

Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post
                    It goes to show the hypocrisy doesn't it.

Captain Tom was used a a pawn to generate money for a good cause.

I'm glad I didn't give a penny towards the thing .
                    The money Captain Tom himself raised went to NHS charities.

They provide things like lockers for staff, furniture for break rooms for staff, bereavement rooms for patients families, play equipment for child patients, making labour rooms less sterile, etc.

This charity is different and is linked to one of his daughters.

Any charity you give to see where the money actually goes to and have a look at the accounts before donating.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X