• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handing in my badge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handing in my badge

Last day contracting today (well a few loose ends to tie up with clientB but that aside...)

Have decided IT is no longer for me - not enjoying it, no motivation to learn new stuff, and generally just need to do something different. HMRC/gov policy definitely a factor too - just CBA with it all.

No plan at present, but ideas include -
    1. Become a deliveroo rider
    2. Upcycle unwanted furniture
    3. Buy and operate an ice-cream tricycle

Immediate plan is to do some DIY to try and get the house in a semi-respectable state.

Other ideas (ideally that bring in a modest income) welcome

You could go in for an afternoon TV game show to keep your mind active..
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Last day contracting today (well a few loose ends to tie up with clientB but that aside...)

Have decided IT is no longer for me - not enjoying it, no motivation to learn new stuff, and generally just need to do something different. HMRC/gov policy definitely a factor too - just CBA with it all.

No plan at present, but ideas include -
      1. Become a deliveroo rider
      2. Upcycle unwanted furniture
      3. Buy and operate an ice-cream tricycle

Immediate plan is to do some DIY to try and get the house in a semi-respectable state.

Other ideas (ideally that bring in a modest income) welcome
      Get you motorbike license?

Comment

Collect and eat small crustaceans, selling the surplus?

Comment

Write a book about contracting.

I stopped after 15 years. Perm now not really happy, but have to work at the moment.

Was thinking of writing one myself. Stuff I have seen/witnessed over the years.

Would have to change names to protect the not so innocent.

Comment

You're an active sort MS - have you considered being a Walking Lead?

The qualifications don't cost an arm and a leg (£150 for training and £150 for assessment) and you might be able get occasional gigs leading walkers for charities etc. Not a huge amount, but you can declare it in your SA as a sole trader.

It's something I'm thinking about.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

dog walking seems to be a growing business, one of our daughters friends does it and she is constantly in demand.

Personal trainer - one of our very girly girls at an old job moved to Australia and took it up, she now has muscles everywhere and is loving it.

Plenty of volunteer / council work needs organising and they pay.

Plenty of interim/day consulting available. My destination in 5-10.

Uswitch pay if you like selling.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If I have learned anything from American police films it is that you are especially likely to get shot on your last day so be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  You're an active sort MS - have you considered being a Walking Lead?

The qualifications don't cost an arm and a leg (£150 for training and £150 for assessment) and you might be able get occasional gigs leading walkers for charities etc. Not a huge amount, but you can declare it in your SA as a sole trader.

It's something I'm thinking about.
                  Ooh I like this!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    dog walking seems to be a growing business, one of our daughters friends does it and she is constantly in demand.
                    Massive demand round me. I've got a list of around 6 dog walkers, another list of house sitters and a few home borders and not one of them has any availability until after August. Gotta love dogs but there is endless work round here.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X