• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU Bans Lightning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU Bans Lightning

Seriously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61720276

If this belongs in 'the other place', I apologise, but this has implications beyond squabbling about that. Apple will obviously be forced to redesign their products for sales in the EU, but will they make the change world-wide? Is this genuinely a good idea, or does our current kit become obsolete, because it won't connect to new devices?

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

You'd imagine they would standardise on USBC worldwide as it's becoming a de facto standard and some Apple products in fact already use it for charging (IIRC).
    I tend to view it as a good thing and Apple's argument "regulation stifles innovation" as whining - but longer term they have a point. Does this mean we're now stuck on USBC forever even if someone else comes up with something better? Or are we only stuck with that specific plug and different protocols/specs are still allowed e.g. faster charging, better bandwidth - HDMI and ethernet (and USB) have several standards while still using the same physical shaped plug/socket for instance.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's a good idea and they've been talking about it for years.
      Apple iPads have thunderbolt/USB-C ports, so it's only iPhones that are impacted.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Seriously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61720276

If this belongs in 'the other place', I apologise, but this has implications beyond squabbling about that. Apple will obviously be forced to redesign their products for sales in the EU, but will they make the change world-wide? Is this genuinely a good idea, or does our current kit become obsolete, because it won't connect to new devices?
        So Brextulipers are still searching for reasons leaving the EU. In any event, the UK will be making exactly the same USB C regulations as the EU
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          It's a good idea and they've been talking about it for years.
          Apple iPads have thunderbolt/USB-C ports, so it's only iPhones that are impacted.
          Mine doesn't, it's got a lightning port and that's it.

Comment

Within USB-C there are different protocols for charging. So it is nonsense that it stops innovation.

Oh and why would any company make a different product for the UK market when the type G plugs used are used in other countries within the EU and around the world.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

So Brextulipers are still searching for reasons leaving the EU. In any event, the UK will be making exactly the same USB C regulations as the EU
              It's not in 'that' forum because I wasn't asking 'that' question. I want to know if it's generally a good idea or a bad one, and whether there were any technical implications. I hope the UK don't follow suit, fwiw, because the costs of redesigning products for different markets will be passed on. And because we have 6 or 7 perfectly good (and fairly new) lightning cables dotted around, which will go to landfill in a couple of years, for no good reason.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post
                Mine doesn't, it's got a lightning port and that's it.
                Since 2018, iPads have been moving over to USB-C, starting with the high end ones and even the mini and air are also included. Only the budget models are still on lightning.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  the costs of redesigning products for different markets will be passed on. And because we have 6 or 7 perfectly good (and fairly new) lightning cables dotted around, which will go to landfill in a couple of years, for no good reason.
                  The cost can't be particularly high for Apple, I don't think Lightning is far different from USBC. And by then you will have some USBC cables you can use.

The far bigger impact is everyone who has already standardised on USB - in microUSB - will also have to switch. That's a huge thing. Of course more and more things are migrating to USBC already so maybe it'll only speed up the inevitable.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It’s a good thing. Standards are good generally.

the only question is what about devices that are physically too small for a USBC?
                    There will certainly be an allowance for small devices and that’s where apples BS about innovation falls down. They will be able to use different ones for certain use cases.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X