• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Metric system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Metric system

"Boris Johnson to reportedly bring back imperial measurements to mark platinum jubilee

Move is an apparent attempt to win support from Brexit voters in seats Tories fear losing

Boris Johnson will reportedly announce the return of imperial measurements to mark the Queen’s platinum jubilee, in an apparent attempt to garner support among Brexiter voters in battleground seats that the Conservatives are in danger of losing.

Britain currently uses a mix of imperial and metric measurements, with speed limits in miles per hour and milk and beer bought in pints."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...atinum-jubilee

I'll be damned if I get a smaller post count as the result

Back to selling petrol by the gallon (Imperial), feck me that'll be a shock to the system & no mistake.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

reinstating the crown on pint glasses is hardly a sin. We can do that now having left the EU.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        reinstating the crown on pint glasses is hardly a sin. We can do that now having left the EU.
        It's a sin if you are a Roundhead
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

WGAS
          Being in the EU didn't stop us selling beer in pints.

Also kids learn using metric units.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We could also do that while we were in the EU.

The crown stamp had been used on pint glasses for more than 300 years to show they are large enough to hold a full pint.

An EU directive, which took effect in 2006, required the use of an EU-wide "CE" mark which stands for Conformité Européenne - French for "European Conformity".

CE appears on many other products, from toys to medical devices, and it shows that they meet the EU's safety, health and environmental rules and can move freely across its countries with no additional checks.

But the European Commission has rejected the idea that EU rules stopped the UK from having the crown stamp on glasses as well.

A spokesperson told us: "EU law does not prevent markings from being placed on products, so long as it does not overlap or be confused with the CE mark."
            Brexit: Did the EU ban crown marks on pint glasses? - BBC News

Comment

De-criminalising the use of imperial measurements is sensible. Always thought that was bonkers. We have long since learned to cope with two systems side-by-side so as long as there's clear signage/labelling on products then I don't see any issue. Appeasing the backwards US is a poor motive.

The daftness of saying 'no-one knows what a 4.5kg baby looks like' does nothing but reveal the age of the person making the statement. Youngsters wouldn't have an issue and I suspect most medical professionals are quite comfortable with it too.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                De-criminalising the use of imperial measurements is sensible. Always thought that was bonkers. We have long since learned to cope with two systems side-by-side so as long as there's clear signage/labelling on products then I don't see any issue. Appeasing the backwards US is a poor motive.

The daftness of saying 'no-one knows what a 4.5kg baby looks like' does nothing but reveal the age of the person making the statement. Youngsters wouldn't have an issue and I suspect most medical professionals are quite comfortable with it too.
                of course we know what a 4.5k baby is, its 1/5 of a 20kg bag of cement!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Aren't you forgetting the mothers who may feel a little bit different when getting sewn back up!
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I think that the number of posts should be in imperial units. Perhaps they could be displayed in metric and imperial units.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X