• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Older Men

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gisajob, gowon, gisajob, I could do that.

Oddly enough I torture myself by looking for local jobs in electronics.

I can't see the components on modern stuff any more.

Haven't written a line of code in 4 or 5 years, so that's out too.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The other thing to bear in mind is that ill health seems to be hitting younger too. Allegedly it only used to happen over 50. Back in the day it seemed to be only either sports injuries or car smashes that did that.
      The number of people I know in my own age bracket (high end of mid-forties) who are experiencing like I have some very serious health (in some cases career terminating and life-changing) issues is actually quite high IMO. Quite a few heart attacks and other serious stuff, liver, kidney, neurological stuff.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

With *your* people skills might I suggest you apply for a job at your local Wetherspoons?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
          The other thing to bear in mind is that ill health seems to be hitting younger too. Allegedly it only used to happen over 50. Back in the day it seemed to be only either sports injuries or car smashes that did that.
          The number of people I know in my own age bracket (high end of mid-forties) who are experiencing like I have some very serious health (in some cases career terminating and life-changing) issues is actually quite high IMO. Quite a few heart attacks and other serious stuff, liver, kidney, neurological stuff.
          I was talking to an older neighbour about that and she noted that people who were 10+ years older than her use to get seriously ill and die e.g. were finally diagnosed with something they had been suffering with symptoms for years then died between their late 50s to mid-60s.

However now everyone gets diagnosed earlier like her e.g. mid-40s to 50s so can struggle on longer with their illnesses.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

With *your* people skills might I suggest you apply for a job at your local Wetherspoons?
            There are loads of hospitality places who need front and back of house staff. Hours are tulip though.

Or he could become a cleaner as according to moans on Mumsnet they are all upping their prices and sacking very disgusting clients.

Or a gardener but it depends where you are.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There are loads of hospitality places who need front and back of house staff. Hours are tulip though.

Or he could become a cleaner as according to moans on Mumsnet they are all upping their prices and sacking very disgusting clients.

Or a gardener but it depends where you are.
              Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

People skills wot people skills?

And how exactly did the multiquote thing actually work on this post?

It's a fecking miracle I tell you, a miracle.

'Tis even more remarkable since, as far as I'm aware, I didn't click on multiquote in the first place.

<cue Outer Limits music>
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 June 2022, 22:24.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I used to be into electronics as a hobbiest until the components got too damn small to solder. As for code, I still do HTML, jscript and PHP for small business website and my mappy stuff, otherwise just things in Excel VBA.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                  sadly plenty pass in their forties over the years its just not as common as in their 70s or as it was with less advanced medical science.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...land+and+Wales

2 mates have had heart attacks in their 40s but survived due to stents and cpr. Another was dead in his thirties (faulty heart from birth).

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

I used to be into electronics as a hobbiest until the components got too damn small to solder. As for code, I still do HTML, jscript and PHP for small business website and my mappy stuff, otherwise just things in Excel VBA.
                    surprisingly you don't need much to be outstanding
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      I used to be into electronics as a hobbiest until the components got too damn small to solder.
                      Time to to get a good illuminated magnifier and modern soldering station. I worked as an electronics design engineer for the first decade of my career and have taken up electronics again in my semi-retirement but needed help to see the components. It's now so much easier to source components, get PCBs made, afford test equipment. It's great fun!

Decision making.
                      - 2020, retired, but not taking pension, owing to attending too many funerals of those younger than me
                      - 2022, started working part time, fully remote to mitigate the effects of inflation and top up pension

Thanks to the OP for the idea. I can now self-identify as a 'Lazy Older Man'.

Comment

Working...
                      X