• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: energy cap again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: energy cap again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61562657... up and up it goes, when it'll stop nobody knows.
    The boss of the UK's energy regulator has warned that the energy price cap is expected to rise to around £2,800 in October.

Jonathan Brearley told MPs that the price cap, now at £1,971, would increase by nearly £1,000, due to continued volatility in the gas market.
    So up by 50%, after it went up by 50% already?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

They want all the poor people - ok 50% of the population - to sit in the dark and cold come winter. It's how we will achieve the UK's Net Zero targets.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It is making solar/heat-pumps start to seem a bit more attractive, even without any incentives/grants. Our house is a leaky sieve but we had previously calculated any heat efficiency improvement costs would take decades to recoup. Material price rises not withstanding, that might be quite different now.

Or we might just live in a single room and burn things. Although that's not too different to last winter.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Or we might just live in a single room and burn things. Although that's not too different to last winter.
        Oh preparing for very old age...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          It is making solar/heat-pumps start to seem a bit more attractive, even without any incentives/grants. Our house is a leaky sieve but we had previously calculated any heat efficiency improvement costs would take decades to recoup. Material price rises not withstanding, that might be quite different now.

my 20m rectangular shed has 50mm of insulation all sides, if I upgraded the standar poor quality windows & door it would probably be zero cost to heat.

My house is a reasonable size 4 bed and fairly cheap to heat thanks to lots of insulation.

Its entirely possible to heat cheaply if you plan.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

my 20m rectangular shed has 50mm of insulation all sides, if I upgraded the standar poor quality windows & door it would probably be zero cost to heat.

My house is a reasonable size 4 bed and fairly cheap to heat thanks to lots of insulation.

Its entirely possible to heat cheaply if you plan.
            Like I said we've done the sums.

Since we have non-cavity walls and no underfloor insulation, insulating requires each room to be totally redecorated after studding out the walls and every window be replaced. Work out how much that would cost for your house and divide it by your heating bill. Then increase it since my house is bigger than yours.
            One might consider external insulation but the price for that is equally high. Bringing your heating bills down in a period property is, at least was, not cost effective in many cases. We know a couple in their 60s in a similar position who have carefully costed all this up and reluctantly concluded they will never get the money back even if they had it to spend, since this is the house they plan to die in.

Comment

Its entirely possible to heat cheaply if you can afford it.
              FTFY

Increases in domestic energy prices impact the poorest disproportionately. A family of 4 in a three bed house with low income jobs has the same heating costs as a family of 4 with two well paid jobs earning more than the national average. In fact heating costs for those on low incomes are likely to be higher as they are less able to afford to insulate their homes to modern standards or may rely on reluctant landlords to do it for them.

If costs increase 50% those on low incomes are less able to absorb those costs than those on a higher income but are paying the same amount.
              Last edited by DaveB; 24 May 2022, 15:03.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

FTFY

Increases in domestic energy prices impact the poorest disproportionately. A family of 4 in a three bed house with low income jobs has the same heating costs as a family of 4 with two well paid jobs earning more than the national average. In fact heating costs for those on low incomes are likely to be higher as they are less able to afford to insulate their homes to modern standards or may rely on reluctant landlords to do it for them.

If costs increase 50% those on low incomes are less able to absorb those costs than those on a higher income but are paying the same amount.
                you are missing the point, what we should do and I have recommended for years is insulate properties and reduce heating costs. Much of that can be government funded.

if we use less energy we need to import & generate less.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

you are missing the point, what we should do and I have recommended for years is insulate properties and reduce heating costs. Much of that can be government funded.

You're one of those Insulate Britain lot aren't you?

We must consume more to keep the government and shareholders happy, and just be glad that Michael Foot isn't running the country or we'd all be far worse off...
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Can be but isn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X