• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Phwoar, nice scalp!"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Phwoar, nice scalp!"

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/calling-me...104709225.html

Personally I never comment on someone's hair loss but most men I know with bald heads seem to embrace it. It's equivalent to personal remarks about stature or weight or hair colour, not breasts.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/calling-me...104709225.html

Personally I never comment on someone's hair loss but most men I know with bald heads seem to embrace it. It's equivalent to personal remarks about stature or weight or hair colour, not breasts.
    I think it depends on the generation ... my generation and I'm assuming the younger fellas do embrace being bald. I love it and wouldn't take a 'cure' if one was offered (although I would take the option to never had to shave my head again and be perm bald but I digress).

Earlier generations though used to wear syrups ... so being bald was an issue. So whilst in itself I'd agree that it's a 'meh', if someone called me bald and akin to saying, look at the medium height extremely good looking guy ... for others it can be an issue.

I personally wouldn't see it as sexist, but the panel of judges, who are I assume from an earlier generation, clearly see it differently.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Reading the story, I think it wasn't just that he was called "Bald" but a "bald c***", which is a bit different.

I tend to find the men who struggle with baldness are those who see it as a weakness, or are in denial about their hair loss. Best thing to do once it starts to go is to keep it short (number 1 or number 2 blade on the clippers).
      Worst thing about being bald is banging your head on something and not having the extra protection of hair, also sunburn.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The judges compared it to commenting on the size of someone's breasts - a comment that would only be made towards a woman. This is true, but it's a dangerous comparison - commenting on the size of someone's breasts is clearly sexual harassment, commenting on the shininess of someone's scalp is (arguably) harassment, and harassment that would only be directed towards men, but it's not sexual in nature. "Bald ****" really isn't different to "ginger ****" or "fat ****" or "spotty ****".

Comment

Think baldness or very short hair makes blokes look younger. Better than my thinning Jimmy Saville look anyway.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Reading the story, I think it wasn't just that he was called "Bald" but a "bald c***", which is a bit different.

I tend to find the men who struggle with baldness are those who see it as a weakness, or are in denial about their hair loss. Best thing to do once it starts to go is to keep it short (number 1 or number 2 blade on the clippers).
            Worst thing about being bald is banging your head on something and not having the extra protection of hair, also sunburn.
            true .. but we do have an early warning system for rain ...

Comment

The judges compared it to commenting on the size of someone's breasts - a comment that would only be made towards a woman. This is true, but it's a dangerous comparison - commenting on the size of someone's breasts is clearly sexual harassment, commenting on the shininess of someone's scalp is (arguably) harassment, and harassment that would only be directed towards men, but it's not sexual in nature. "Bald ****" really isn't different to "ginger ****" or "fat ****" or "spotty ****".
              Oi don't leave MF & Me out!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think in this context, the 'sexual' doesn't mean sex, but it's aimed only at one gender. A bit like a sex discrimination case not giving an equally suitable woman the same pay as a man doing the same job.

Plus .... i know plenty men who have comments made about their breasts ... or Moobs as my late wife would call them. So the judge's argument falls down somewhat just on that.

Plus, plus, ... the comment to baldie was negative and I'm assuming comments about women's breast tend to be more 'positive', so again the judge's arguments fall over.

Apart from that, the judges were spot on

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I think in this context, the 'sexual' doesn't mean sex, but it's aimed only at one gender. A bit like a sex discrimination case not giving an equally suitable woman the same pay as a man doing the same job.

Plus .... i know plenty men who have comments made about their breasts ... or Moobs as my late wife would call them. So the judge's argument falls down somewhat just on that.

Plus, plus, ... the comment to baldie was negative and I'm assuming comments about women's breast tend to be more 'positive', so again the judge's arguments fall over.

Apart from that, the judges were spot on
                  Pretty sure our mate whose colleague said she had fried eggs would consider that negative. She did have a bit of a complex her partner bought "big & bouncy" mags.

I told her don't worry, she had a great arse then she & my wife hit me. Honestly you try to be helpful!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Insulting a man by calling him "bald" is sex harassment, a panel of balding judges has ruled.

In a landmark judgment, an employment tribunal found that because men are more likely to lose their hair than women, using the term to describe someone is a form of discrimination.

In their finding the judges suggested that mocking a man’s baldness was equivalent to remarking on the size of a woman’s breasts.

The ruling - made by a panel of three men who bemoaned their own lack of hair - came in a case between electrician Tony Finn and his manufacturing firm employers.
                    Sounds a nicely impartial judgement.

Presumably calling someone a "beanpole" is also sexual harassment because men are on average taller? What a waste of everyone's time. You can already take action on workplace discrimination without having to make it about gender.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X