• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwide Building Society House Price Index April 22

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nationwide Building Society House Price Index April 22

Key points:
    • Annual UK house price growth slowed modestly to 12.1% in April, down from 14.3% in March
    • Prices up 0.3% month-on-month after taking account of seasonal effects
    • Poll reveals 38% actively moving or considering move

The latest report from Nationwide makes for some interesting reading. The building society is predicting that whilst the market is currently strong, it will slow over the next few months as household income is squeezed as inflation continues to rise. However, in their survey of 3000 consumers, an impressive 38% responded that they are considering a move.

Full report here:

https://www.nationwidehousepriceinde...fr-r9yzj-dtjaf

Question: why hold assets during an inflationary cycle?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Surely it depends what the asset is? If the asset is rising more than inflation then you are still gaining ... cash is losing at the moment, houses are still rising more than inflation.

Or is it not that simple?
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I jet washed by block paved drive at the weekend so I expect the index to rise next month.

Comment

Agreed - I have just sold my house, bought a mattress, sleeping bag and Ford Cortina estate and put the rest into gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Surely it depends what the asset is? If the asset is rising more than inflation then you are still gaining ... cash is losing at the moment, houses are still rising more than inflation.

Or is it not that simple?
            Hard to say.

Property has been gaining in price forever (it seems) and even more rapidly since rates went down over the past 12 years or so - understandably. But now rates are rising due to high inflation, so I would expect house prices to suffer and even more so because cost of living as a whole is soaring.

But then I read that holding cash is a bum game during inflationary cycles (which I get) and that you should hold assets instead. But surely property and stocks/shares will suffer - so that leaves gold I guess?

Comment

But then I read that holding cash is a bum game during inflationary cycles (which I get) and that you should hold assets instead. But surely property and stocks/shares will suffer - so that leaves gold I guess?
              Bitcoin
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Gold pressed latinum, it's the only way to go. .
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Bitcoin
                  It's a buyer's market

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Gold pressed latinum, it's the only way to go. .
                  Gas, oil, petrol cars, guns, excellent quality 2nd-hand tools.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Property prices can reverse very suddenly. Every crash I've ever known was preceded by a hot market and massive increases.

The BoE is putting off significant rate rises, but at some point, they will have to do something about inflation. What do mortgage holders do? Food expensive, payments up and wages flat. Boom.

Comment

Working...
                    X