• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The EU making sense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I saw Branson on the news yesterday backing a plan to reduce the speed limits as another easy way to reduce oil use.
    You probably didn't get this in the UK: https://www.iea.org/news/energy-savi...-million-homes
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Falling shop takings?
      Working from home may mean that Starbucks, etc have a reduction in takings, but people still need to buy food to eat - whether it's from the shop near their office or the shop near their home.
      With rising inflation and stationary wages discretionary spending WILL fall.
      During the pandemic all sorts of hospitality business saw massive reductions in business that have not recovered.

If its heating or eating Tesco will sell a lot fewer steaks.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The EU making sense?
        The EU makes sense in everything and every way you leaver thicko!

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Maybe they will stop moving the entire parliament 12 times a year if they are serious about removing waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Maybe they will stop moving the entire parliament 12 times a year if they are serious about removing waste.
            Don't be stupid they are politicians.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That works if they can burn (hopefully non-Russian) coal at home. Or wood, but that means cutting down trees, so politically iffy. I'm not seeing how they plan to generate electricity, or put petrol and diesel into peoples' cars, but that's probably not the point.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                ^Not sure that would make much difference. Like a lot of people I'm driving slower and more economically recently and it's only reduced consumption from 61 to 65 MPG.
                Not only that, but in typical town, which is pretty congested with traffic anyway, reducing speed limits would simply increase the incidence and severity of traffic jams.

So vehicles would be using just as much fuel and producing even more pollution idling, and productivity (such as it is) would reduce due to longer journey times.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Not only that, but in typical town, which is pretty congested with traffic anyway, reducing speed limits would simply increase the incidence and severity of traffic jams.

So vehicles would be using just as much fuel and producing even more pollution idling, and productivity (such as it is) would reduce due to longer journey times.
                  It's not clear, but the evidence that there is leans towards the opposite. Lower congestion through fewer bottlenecks, less idling, little impact on point to point journey times and lower pollution (due to less idling and lower congestion). There's also a benefit in fewer accidents and few fatal accidents.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    It's not clear, but the evidence that there is leans towards the opposite. Lower congestion through fewer bottlenecks, less idling, little impact on point to point journey times and lower pollution (due to less idling and lower congestion). There's also a benefit in fewer accidents and few fatal accidents.
                    Maybe in some situations, but it's hard to be sure. My intuition, FWIW, is that slower speeds and thus longer journey times (even without traffic jams) mean more cars on the road at any given time, hence a greater tendency to build up jams at traffic lights and roundabouts, and worsen the bunching effect elsewhere due to slow reaction times.

Another way of looking at it is a fictitious (and ridiculous I know) thought experiment - Suppose every vehicle travelled at 10000 MPH, and stopped and started almost instantly. Then the roads would be pretty much empty all the time, with flashes every few seconds as a vehicle zipped past too fast for the eye to follow. So in that extreme situation, there would be no traffic jams, or queues at traffic lights if these changed fast as well, I wouldn't have thought.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Falling shop takings?
                      Working from home may mean that Starbucks, etc have a reduction in takings, but people still need to buy food to eat - whether it's from the shop near their office or the shop near their home.
                      Not my local Costa ... since WFH sales have gone through the roof ....
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X