• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beaten by Fred Dibnah

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    IIRC the last thing I watched on BBC3 was "Heroes" whenever the feck that was, donkey's years ago.

As a died in the wool the tvs are connected to dishes and aerials rather than the interweb thing.

Dumped the sky sub 3 or more years ago once I'd reached the stage of only watching one programme off it per week.

On the other hand, I did watch the Fred Dibnah epics fairly recently.
    Fred Dibnah is a legend, understandable he beats years of revisionist rubbish.

Must admit I have most of his shows ripped from DVD.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Don't they do surveys and find the average age of the watchers off BBC linear channels are 60+?

Most older people I know in that category with decent internet connections have gone back to listening to radio and watch telly on-demand. They are also dab hands at searching for and finding content on YouTube and Instagram.
      My parents (in their mid 80's) have a fancy recording box that's supposed to be able to access on-demand content (iPlayer etc) and they think it's broken. It took us a while to work out what the problem was. It turns out they turn off their router when they're not using the computer, which is most of the time, because they think it burns too much electricity. They're in for a shock in a couple of years when their analogue phone line gets turned off, and they will be reliant on the internet. They still think I'm winding them up about that, and that BT wouldn't dare turn all the old phone lines off, because all the pensioners will go to another supplier
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

My parents (in their mid 80's) have a fancy recording box that's supposed to be able to access on-demand content (iPlayer etc) and they think it's broken. It took us a while to work out what the problem was. It turns out they turn off their router when they're not using the computer, which is most of the time, because they think it burns too much electricity.
        Well at least they don't think they are being fried by the waves.

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        They're in for a shock in a couple of years when their analogue phone line gets turned off, and they will be reliant on the internet. They still think I'm winding them up about that, and that BT wouldn't dare turn all the old phone lines off, because all the pensioners will go to another supplier
        Ahh so they going to go to Virgin Media? Well the phone now plugs into your router.

Or are they going to one of the new suppliers that do a local/community broadband? Well most of those don't include a phone line and the ones who do the phone plugs into your router....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The only calls I get on the landline are Indian Asian** scammers* looking to defraud my late father.

And even those have tailed off recently.

*As identified as such by "who called me" or whatever. .

**Reedited since there are a variety of groups who consume curry.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 April 2022, 12:14.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

If my kids are anything to go by then scheduled TV is going to be dead within a generation. They literally never watch it, instead watching endless Youtube about video games, football etc. I do worry a bit that this self-curation of their media intake from such a young age (10, 12) means they are not getting exposed to the variety that we were, when we simply had to make do with whatever was on at the time. I do occasionally force them to watch a nature doc or something but it is a losing battle.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Because they don't understand that the youth don't watch linear TV....
              They shut the channel down because they understood this. They have the data to support the decision to reverse it. I heard someone speaking about it, it's not done on a whim.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
              X