• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beaten by Fred Dibnah

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaten by Fred Dibnah

You guessed it is BBC3's output.

The few programmes I watch I watch on iPlayer like everyone else, so which dinosaur thought it was a good idea to relaunch the channel.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...to-win-viewers

When BBC Three relaunched as a live television channel earlier this year, the corporation hoped its counterintuitive punt on a youth-focused broadcast outlet would help it reach new audiences. Instead, the channel’s shows are consistently being beaten in the ratings by repeats of old history programmes featuring the deceased steeplejack Fred Dibnah on BBC Four.
    Most of BBC Three’s programmes have so far failed to attract more than 100,000 viewers on live television, according to official viewing figures, while some shows are lucky to get a tenth of that. Even the programmes that do perform relatively well – such as episodes of MasterChef Australia – are rarely the original distinctive in-house shows that the channel exists to provide.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I also didn't understand why they put it back on the box. It's perfectly accessible via iPlayer (not that any of the BBC3 content ever appealed, I'm more a BBC2/4 person)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I also didn't understand why they put it back on the box. It's perfectly accessible via iPlayer (not that any of the BBC3 content ever appealed, I'm more a BBC2/4 person)
      Because they don't understand that the youth don't watch linear TV....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep. That's basically the crux of it

Comment

We have Netflix, Prime, Disney and Now streaming. About 3 years ago, I commented to my kids, then aged 9 and 13, about ITV.

They replied "what's ITV?"

The penny dropped on me then - if I was the board of ITV I would be crapping myself over its long term future.

Comment

I wouldn't know how to watch terrestial channels on my TV nowadays. I've not used them in years and swapped TV's and have yet to find out how to even access them.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I wouldn't know how to watch terrestial channels on my TV nowadays. I've not used them in years and swapped TV's and have yet to find out how to even access them.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I know how to use yours though
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't they do surveys and find the average age of the watchers off BBC linear channels are 60+?

Most older people I know in that category with decent internet connections have gone back to listening to radio and watch telly on-demand. They are also dab hands at searching for and finding content on YouTube and Instagram.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

IIRC the last thing I watched on BBC3 was "Heroes" whenever the feck that was, donkey's years ago.

As a died in the wool the tvs are connected to dishes and aerials rather than the interweb thing.

Dumped the sky sub 3 or more years ago once I'd reached the stage of only watching one programme off it per week.

On the other hand, I did watch the Fred Dibnah epics fairly recently.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X