• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What could you get by on?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    It's a question I have been asking myself a lot recently.

I am 49 and have been pretty crap at contributing to pensions.

I have about £300k in the pot ATM which does not equate to a great annuity using online calculators.

I could (and really should) max out my pension contributions without really noticing however I wonder if it is still worth buying a BTL and just leave it to pay for itself as well.
    In my lifetime I had three pensions. Two pension companies went bust. The third "Standard Life" returned 50% of what I put in. However, direct investment in property has done very well.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Maybe but they quite possibly spent their entire career being unable to afford to do many things - chained to a low salary because the pension scheme was good.
      Not really. Teacher salaries aren't brilliant by our standards but are quite reasonable given the amount of time off, and the fact until recently you got automatic promotion up the pay-scale every year. Certainly more than lots of people earn doing office jobs.
      Police used to earn well and retire early and get brilliant pensions on top.

If you wanted to retire rich, no good but if you wanted to live comfortably and retire without a care, it was great.
      It's not like teachers now earn more, they get paid about the same but the pensions have been sliced to be more realistic.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Not really. Teacher salaries aren't brilliant by our standards but are quite reasonable given the amount of time off, and the fact until recently you got automatic promotion up the pay-scale every year. Certainly more than lots of people earn doing office jobs.
        Police used to earn well and retire early and get brilliant pensions on top.

If you wanted to retire rich, no good but if you wanted to live comfortably and retire without a care, it was great.
        It's not like teachers now earn more, they get paid about the same but the pensions have been sliced to be more realistic.
        OTOH her indoors was the laboratory manager of a hospital microbiology lab for many years with 100 staff and a budgets of several millions, ensuring delivery of a service that is life critical (as in if you don't get it right 100% of the time someone dies...) and routinely worked 10-12 hours a day. She was qualified to a higher level than most of the doctors she was dealing with on a daily basis. She never earned more than £50k a year. Her inflation proofed pension of half her final year's salary is a reasonable compensation, in my (admittedly biased) view.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          I plan on going postal once the bank accounts are empty. ..
          Watch out for those pheasants!

Click image for larger version

Name:	54477811-10536777-image-a-4_1645482761883.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	4206294
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

OTOH her indoors was the laboratory manager of a hospital microbiology lab for many years with 100 staff and a budgets of several millions, ensuring delivery of a service that is life critical (as in if you don't get it right 100% of the time someone dies...) and routinely worked 10-12 hours a day. She was qualified to a higher level than most of the doctors she was dealing with on a daily basis. She never earned more than £50k a year. Her inflation proofed pension of half her final year's salary is a reasonable compensation, in my (admittedly biased) view.
            Sounds like she should've worked harder at her career

Comment

Sounds like she should've worked harder at her career
              Did the job well, was top of all her pay grades had published papers and made a significant contribution to raising national standards across all NHS/HCA labs...

Difficult to see what else she could have done. Become a diversity officer perhaps.... seems they average over £50k mostly from home.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Did the job well, was top of all her pay grades had published papers and made a significant contribution to raising national standards across all NHS/HCA labs...

Difficult to see what else she could have done. Become a diversity officer perhaps.... seems they average over £50k mostly from home.
                Work for someone else, is more what I was thinking

Comment

Once mortgage paid off and kids left home then £2k a month would be enough. £3k is probably comfortable.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Go through your monthly outgoings...
                    House:
                    Electricity
                    Gas
                    Oil
                    Water
                    Council Tax
                    Broadband
                    Phone
                    TV
                    etc

Then:
                    Bank fees
                    Mobile phone
                    Road Fund Licence
                    Car servicing/tyres/MOT
                    Membership of organisations (AA/RAC/National Trust/etc)
                    etc.

Then after that add in food & drink, holidays, etc.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Oh some of the pensions are crazy if you were in the public sector. These final-salary pensions where you retire and just keep getting paid forever, on your final salary. I've no idea what sort of ROI you are getting on your contribution but it's clear you're getting FAR more out than you ever put in.
                      I've never heard of one final salary scheme that paid out the employees final salary in perpetuity. The most I'd ever seen/heard of is 2/3rds of final salary assuming 40 years service (lesser service would reduce the 2/3rd pro-rata). But, those stopped to new entrants a long time ago.

Can you provide details, or is this one of those millennial myths that get passed around as fact when they're whinging and blaming boomers for everything that's making life so unfair for them?

(no, i'm not a boomer)
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 23 February 2022, 18:03.

Comment

Working...
                      X