• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What could you get by on?"

Collapse

• _V_
    replied
    Whatever you did think you could live on, double it now.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...sion-bfc82dtc9
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...soon-warns-rac

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oldest millennials are either 41 or turning 41 this year.

It's gen z, those 25 this year and under, who we are unlikely to be on CUK.
    They changed it because the earliest tranche of millenials clearly aren't. Many of us are xennials, although you're looking at children of '90 as the core millys. Of course most of them are now married with kids and more interested in the property ladder than the glass ceiling now.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I don't think we have any of those do we?
    Oldest millennials are either 41 or turning 41 this year.

It's gen z, those 25 this year and under, who we are unlikely to be on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

fixed for millennials!
    I don't think we have any of those do we?

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I reckon £3k would do in retirement - current monthly spend with 2 kids and mortgage is in the £5k region.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    What are you doing on CUK then?! Go live your BEST life
    fixed for millennials!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Possibly when I say final-salary I mean it's linked (a multiplier), my bad if so. There were a lot of ructions when they changed it from final-salary to average-salary or some other metric. But the payouts were still vastly better than today or any private pension. They don't call them gold-plated for nothing - and this term preceded millennials.
    The life time allowance has capped final salary pension payouts in the last couple of decades. (It was introduced in 2006)

But you can still get a job in the NHS/Civil Service if you want a career average salary pension.

Just expect that unless you reach a senior role you will be retiring after 57.

Though to be fair a lot of senior staff retire a few years after they stop contributing to their pension pots because they are pissed off with government policies. Some then go and work elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    We're retired and get by on about £1200/month from savings & investments.
    What are you doing on CUK then?! Go live your life

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    We're retired and get by on about £1200/month from savings & investments.

Only possible because we're mortgage-free, and have never been interested in buying "stuff".

We'll get a decent boost from the state pension in a few years, which is currently paying £1556/month (£778/person).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I've never heard of one final salary scheme that paid out the employees final salary in perpetuity. The most I'd ever seen/heard of is 2/3rds of final salary assuming 40 years service (lesser service would reduce the 2/3rd pro-rata). But, those stopped to new entrants a long time ago.

Can you provide details, or is this one of those millennial myths that get passed around as fact when they're whinging and blaming boomers for everything that's making life so unfair for them?

(no, i'm not a boomer)
    Possibly when I say final-salary I mean it's linked (a multiplier), my bad if so. There were a lot of ructions when they changed it from final-salary to average-salary or some other metric. But the payouts were still vastly better than today or any private pension. They don't call them gold-plated for nothing - and this term preceded millennials.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Most people in the patient facing NHS are there for reasons other than earning money
    THought you said she was a lab manager. Good for her.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It's actually easy to find details of certain pension schemes in the public domain e.g. NHS pension scheme(s).

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    As I said earlier, SWMBO's NHS pension is 50% of her final year's salary after 40 year's service. AFAIK that is the limit for all such schemes. You want more you buy AVCs.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I've never heard of one final salary scheme that paid out the employees final salary in perpetuity. The most I'd ever seen/heard of is 2/3rds of final salary assuming 40 years service (lesser service would reduce the 2/3rd pro-rata). But, those stopped to new entrants a long time ago.

Can you provide details, or is this one of those millennial myths that get passed around as fact when they're whinging and blaming boomers for everything that's making life so unfair for them?

(no, i'm not a boomer)
    It is a myth.

I know, especially as I'm related to some of them, some people who are getting or will be getting reasonably large pensions. However they were high up in the organisation/firm they worked for and even then their pension is no where near 2/3rds of their final salary.

Also the average pension - as in median - for those in the civil service is something like £6K a year.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Work for someone else, is more what I was thinking
    Most people in the patient facing NHS are there for reasons other than earning money

Leave a comment:

Working...
X