• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keep your opinions to yourself sir!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep your opinions to yourself sir!

Schools in England are being reminded to teach sensitive issues in a non-biased way, under new guidance.

It aims to help teachers cover complex topics, such as the history of the British Empire or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, without pushing one political view over another.

There is also a warning against teachers expressing their own views.

Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi says no subject should be off limits, but teaching must be impartial.
    Some serious stuff there butmainly just wanted to post this gem

Schools are also being asked to listen and try to resolve any concerns raised by parents who feel their children have been exposed to an uncontested political view.
    Is this the new danger facing our children, that poor Sue might be in danger from hearing an opinion? Feels like a Mitchell & Webb or Harry Enfield sketch...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Two hundred years ago, it was illegal for teachers to discuss or mention current affairs with their pupils.

Any teacher caught doing so would be prosecuted for sedition, which was a serious offence!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

On the reading list for our eight year old was a book about FGM.
      Remainer views have been clearly and uncontested both at school & University. When I asked my children to explain why they thought we should rejoin the EU the answer was not supported by any facts.

I know FGM is likely to happen to 8 year olds but why does my 8 year old need to get involved she is not at risk. In proper estuary stylie I'd feckin kill anyone who intentionally hurt her like most normal parents.

I have no issue with having an informed discussion at UNI about Brexit but at least use facts. Its like living in the losers forum.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        On the reading list for our eight year old was a book about FGM.
        Remainer views have been clearly and uncontested both at school & University. When I asked my children to explain why they thought we should rejoin the EU the answer was not supported by any facts.

I know FGM is likely to happen to 8 year olds but why does my 8 year old need to get involved she is not at risk. In proper estuary stylie I'd feckin kill anyone who intentionally hurt her like most normal parents.

I have no issue with having an informed discussion at UNI about Brexit but at least use facts. Its like living in the losers forum.
        The country is crying out for teachers, especially in STEM. Why don't you give it a go?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          When I asked my children to explain why they thought we should rejoin the EU the answer was not supported by any facts..
          Sorry, when have any of your Brexit views been supported by facts?

A teacher friend of ours used the N word in context of history/RE teaching and kids said "you can't say that". When she explained that yes she could they started recording her on their phones and "dobbed her in" to the head to "get you fired".

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

The country is crying out for teachers, especially in STEM. Why don't you give it a go?
            Don't you think the kids have it bad enough?

Comment

Schools are also being asked to listen and try to resolve any concerns raised by parents who feel their children have been exposed to an uncontested political view.
              This reminds me of a new article the other day about a head that's pushed the whole school in to vegetarian meals to save the planet because she's a bit of a tree hugging leftie. I believe it said packed lunches couldn't have meet either. Parents are quite rightly up in arms about it.

That would be being exposed to an uncontested political view would it not?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the parents are up in arms then it doesn't sound uncontested

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  If the parents are up in arms then it doesn't sound uncontested
                  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the scenario in which that applies but I would have thought the policy the head i putting in place is uncontested as the children didn't have a choice so fits that statement. The parents are up in arms after the fact and the school needs to listen..

Or is this a bad example?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm just being silly, that sounds like exactly the sort of issue. Although is vegetarianism a political view? A school could strongly encourage any pro-environment measures (in fact they might be obligated to do so) and could decide to run a vegetarian canteen for school dinners, but they surely cannot ban meat being brought in. Back to Jamie Oliver smuggling kebabs through the school gates...

Comment

Working...
                    X