• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whoopsi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If she hadn't done the whole "they're all white" gaffe I'd have a lot of sympathy with her against the baying hordes, as it is I'm - as I opened with - torn.
    You make some fair points and it's your opinion so agreeing to disagree is the best way as you say. I must admit I can't see why you are torn when the 'they're all white' comment is out there though. One element of the issue is open to strong debate, no right or wrong... but they are all white is clearly wrong. No justification for that whether she was right or not about the other bit. If someone delivers a great solid speech and then says 'all black people look the same to me' do you think people will be torn? Same comment has to be held to the same level of account whatever colour you put in it. Just can't say that nowadays IMO
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I suppose I don't think one comment off the cuff should be the only thing we end up talking about, especially given she apologized, if other points were raised. It's very easy to say something dumb live.
      Also, I'm ok with someone holding a view I don't agree with.

Any way we probably covered Whoopi... And now for the other end of the spectrum:

Comedian Jimmy Carr has sparked outrage for a routine about the Holocaust in his latest Netflix stand-up special.
      Carr has been described as "truly disturbing" for making light of the murders of hundreds of thousands of people from Europe's traveller communities during World War Two.

The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust said it was "absolutely appalled".

Netflix, which has been urged to remove the special, declined to comment. Carr has also not commented.

Carr's programme, titled His Dark Material, was released on the streaming platform on Christmas Day, and he introduced part of his routine as being "a career ender".

The comedian went on to say a "positive" of the Holocaust was that thousands of gypsies were murdered. The comments were greeted with applause and laughter.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

FFS.

How low can you go?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It'll be gone soon, watch now if you dare!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It'll be gone soon, watch now if you dare!
            I can find stuff from the 70s if I want to watch racist material.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              FFS.

How low can you go?
              I'm by no means an apologist for Carr, but in context it sounded a bit to me like he's saying "people don't get exercised about the gypsy victims due to their innate dislike of gypsies", but presenting it in his usual style of it being his point of view, when you know that it most certainly isn't.

At one of his tours in Germany he was talking about the church tax they have to pay there. "Not me", came a voice from the back "I'm Jewish". Carr sarcastically replied "Oh, I didn't know there were any Jews left in Germany".

Dead silence.

Then another voice came. "Ja, we missed one".

Carr was stunned and speechless. Out-Carred if you will.

Very funny man, but a too sweary and too close to the edge of decency. Occasionally, as on this time, stepping over it.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I'm by no means an apologist for Carr, but in context it sounded a bit to me like he's saying "people don't get exercised about the gypsy victims due to their innate dislike of gypsies", but presenting it in his usual style of it being his point of view, when you know that it most certainly isn't.

At one of his tours in Germany he was talking about the church tax they have to pay there. "Not me", came a voice from the back "I'm Jewish". Carr sarcastically replied "Oh, I didn't know there were any Jews left in Germany".

Dead silence.

Then another voice came. "Ja, we missed one".

Carr was stunned and speechless. Out-Carred if you will.

Very funny man, but a too sweary and too close to the edge of decency. Occasionally, as on this time, stepping over it.

Saw him in the flesh do a recording of 8 of 10 cats at Pinewood - very funny but the minute they stopped the cameras he turned into a complete potty mouth, as did the rest of the panel. It was like being on an Irish building site, every other word banned on here.

Some Germans have a cracking sense of humour, I trained a couple of guys on some legacy systems and we laughed for two days solid.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X