• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Landrover Defender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Landrover Defender

A bit of a Chelsea tractor?

The TV advert made me laugh, warning about the hazards of offroading. I doubt most of them will ever see mud.

Can't see many farmers round our way buying one. I guess their only alternative now for a proper work vehicle are pickup trucks?
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

The TV advert made me laugh, warning about the hazards of offroading. I doubt most of them will ever see mud.

Can't see many farmers round our way buying one. I guess their only alternative now for a proper work vehicle are pickup trucks?
    Loads of them round my way for various reasons. I wouldnt say no to a short wheel base though
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

Loads of them round my way for various reasons. I wouldnt say no to a short wheel base though
      That's probably because all JLR workers can get them for peanuts and can hand them back after x months before anything goes wrong.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

That's probably because all JLR workers can get them for peanuts and can hand them back after x months before anything goes wrong.
        I must be the only person on my road with a non JLR product!
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

I must be the only person on my road with a non JLR product!
          Have to say, I'm absolutely in love with XF

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Harry Metcalfe likes his.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Its mostly defenders and RR Sports with the odd XE/XF on my street.

Being on their test route and Aston Martins test route it is also amazing what comes past the house. I'm not sure which company is making the rather nice shooting brake that I see a lot at the moment. There is also what looks like a mk2 cavalier on a land rover chassis. Lots of Range rovers with Boxes on top. oh and F-Types wearing Citroen badging! Aston sports cars wearing camo is a daily occurrence and I quite liked the DBX in camo but not in plain colours!
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yup, have some friends in that field of work. A lot of them are ‘test cars’ with loggers on them gathering data.

In reality I do not think they have all the systems in place to process that programmatically (or at least that’s what I know from a few years back).

it probably another managerial thing to keep underpaid employees happy, getting their ego pumped up. I would immagine the dissonance to be quite high when showing off in one of those but knowing the reality around it.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Yup, have some friends in that field of work. A lot of them are ‘test cars’ with loggers on them gathering data.

In reality I do not think they have all the systems in place to process that programmatically (or at least that’s what I know from a few years back).

it probably another managerial thing to keep underpaid employees happy, getting their ego pumped up. I would immagine the dissonance to be quite high when showing off in one of those but knowing the reality around it.
                  I have heard some of the prices quoted for staff cars as low as less than £200 month for a fully loaded JLR vehicle. £200-300 seems the most popular price I have heard. I have also heard that the mileage limits are quite low.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

I have heard some of the prices quoted for staff cars as low as less than £200 month for a fully loaded JLR vehicle. £200-300 seems the most popular price I have heard. I have also heard that the mileage limits are quite low.
                    not even that, usually there is a fleet of cars available for development. you sign on a list and take one home. you are covered by a workplace insurance policy.

you just have to be careful that a lot of them have prototype components, not the regular cars so instead of 80k listing price they might be a £400k one off made vehicle.

if you damage it, some people at work might be upset.

they sometimes get sent to harsh environments - high altitude, hot climate, low temperatures. you get one of these connected to the back of your car and you can dynamically adjust load.

Click image for larger versionName:	towing-dynamometer_featured-922x1024.jpgViews:	0Size:	102.4 KBID:	4202362

also all the components of interest are usually instrumented with temperature sensors, speed sensors. so a lot of things get looked at.

I used to do a bit of that at the beginning of my career while I was still transitioning from mechanical engineer to SW engineer.
                    being the passenger of a car doing 60-120km/h on a curvy mountain road and having to go through the control logic for the turbocharger and check states, temperatures and speeds is not always fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X