• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Highway code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highway code

God I would fail my theory test if I had to take it again now. Probably fail the practical as well tbh.

Highway Code: £1,000 fine for drivers who open door with wrong hand | Evening Standard

...how would you even prove this in court!

The Highway Code: 8 changes you need to know from 29 January 2022 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Typical headline not actually matching the story clickbait.

(and to save those clicking - the potential fine is if you injure someone when opening your door, no-matter which hand you use. Using your "farthest away" hand might cause you to twist and see a cyclist coming, thus mitigating the risk)
    Last edited by Paralytic; 26 January 2022, 16:21.

Comment

You are late to the "business gathering" - https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...e-changes.html
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
        Photo evidence or caught in the act?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Typical headline not actually matching the story clickbait.

(and to save those clicking - the potential fine is if you injure someone when opening your door, no-matter which hand you use. Using your "farthest away" hand might cause you to twist and see a cyclist coming, thus mitigating the risk)
          To which the counter argument is that almost every vehicle on the road has a mirror on the driver's door, so "look before you open it" would appear to be a sensible approach. And it stops getting your door knocked off by a passing truck...

But again - prove I didn't look when I knocked you off your bike.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
            God I would fail my theory test if I had to take it again now. Probably fail the practical as well tbh.

Highway Code: £1,000 fine for drivers who open door with wrong hand | Evening Standard

The Highway Code: 8 changes you need to know from 29 January 2022 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
            I was on my bike with a car passing on one side and someone opened his car door right in front of me. I think this is just as dangerous as running a red light. I managed to avoid going full pelt into the door by squeezing between the car and the door. I was annoyed that my pedal got scratched by the car door though. Anyone who does that has probably opened the car door with the wrong hand.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 January 2022, 12:06.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

To which the counter argument is that almost every vehicle on the road has a mirror on the driver's door, so "look before you open it" would appear to be a sensible approach. And it stops getting your door knocked off by a passing truck...

But again - prove I didn't look when I knocked you off your bike.
              People are still missing the point - no-one needs to prove (or otherwise) whether you looked, or what hand you used to open the door.

If an occupant of a car opens their door onto a public highway and is responsible for injury to someone as a result of that, they are at fault.

Comment

People are still missing the point - no-one needs to prove (or otherwise) whether you looked, or what hand you used to open the door.

If an occupant of a car opens their door onto a public highway and is responsible for injury to someone as a result of that, they are at fault.
                Well yes, I'm not really disputing that. It's obviously up to you to make sure you can open the door safely. I was talking more about the earlier posts on proof.

I did once scare some poor sod who went to get of his car as I was driving past. I managed to stop in time (although he couldn't then close the door since my car was in the way, it was that close). What might have upset him was me automatically hitting the horn, meaning he got the twin Fiamm air horns going off about a foot from his ear...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Even if the vehicle they hit is not following the rules themselves, like a car/bike without their lights on being the obvious real-life example? Or would that not be a reasonable defence?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Do motorists get a pass for accidents involving e-scooters?

Comment

Working...
                    X