• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Highway Code Changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highway Code Changes

This morning I got annoyed with a driver waiting for me to cross the road because they didn't look like a competent driver.

Then I remembered that the highway code changes are happening later this week so that's why they waited. They didn't have to as it wasn't a crossing place.

Even worse I think I actually added my comments to the consultation on the changes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nges-will-mean

There is, we are told in the Daily Mail, “fury” over changes to the Highway Code. There is “confusion” among road users. Cyclists and pedestrians will, the more breathless news coverage intimates, have carte blanche to weave across the highways, with drivers held culpable for every mishap.

This is, of course, nonsense. After a weekend of yet more misleading coverage, and with the new rules due to come into effect later this week, here’s a brief, potted guide to what will change – and what will not.
    </snip>

Main points are
    • Cyclists won’t be “in the middle of the road
    • There is no new rule on riding two abreast
    • There is no new rule on not having to use cycle lanes
    • There is a tweak to priority for pedestrians at crossings
    • Many changes just formalise basic courtesy
    • It’s not just drivers who are asked to be considerate

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

• Many changes just formalise basic courtesy
    I can't see that working very well to be honest.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Where's the fun in driving if I can't swear at everyone?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I can't see that working very well to be honest.
        Depends where you live.

I noticed over the years that in certain areas drivers have no manners so would rather sit in their cars swearing at another driver than reverse into a space.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          This morning I got annoyed with a driver waiting for me to cross the road because they didn't look like a competent driver.

Then I remembered that the highway code changes are happening later this week so that's why they waited. They didn't have to as it wasn't a crossing place.
          Where were you crossing?

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Where were you crossing?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	large-roundabout-from-abovetianjinchina-picture-id955995318?s=2048x2048.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	740.1 KB
ID:	4201545
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Where were you crossing?
              Not in front of you, I'd wager, as they lived to tell the tale

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Where's the fun in driving if I can't swear at everyone?
                I agree! Swearing at everything and everyone while I drive is what gives me the most enjoyment

Comment

Where were you crossing?
                  Local road near where I live in London. The traffic is parents dropping off secondary school kids because their darlings are the ones who simply can't walk, cycle or take the bus to school like the kids from the 3 nearby schools.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I agree! Swearing at everything and everyone while I drive is what gives me the most enjoyment
                    But I swear at other road users not only when I drive but also when I walk, run and cycle.

The people I like swearing at currently are those idiots on e-scooters who wear black/dark clothing and have no lights then weave in and out not just on the road but also the pavement. Bloody organ donors!

Comment

Working...
                    X