• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Highway Code Changes"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    https://newsthump.com/2022/01/25/aud...with-cyclists/

Seems legit

Audi driver repeatedly fails Captcha test after failing to identify images with cyclists

Local Audi driver Simon Williams has failed to access his favourite website this morning after it asked him to identify which images contained cyclists.

Williams, a proud Audi A5 owner who regularly commutes to work in busy traffic, is currently unable to access an Audi-owners forum due to the anti-spam Captcha system repeatedly asking him to prove he is not a robot.

He told us, “I don’t get it, I’m not a robot. I know this because here I am talking to you on a satirical website, but the system keeps showing me photos of the street asking me which squares contain bicycles – how can I do that when none of the squares contains a bicycle!

“Every single square is a road that you could just drive down or a junction where you can pull out whenever you feel like it. Is it some sort of trick question? Am I taking part in a Turing test?”

Captcha developer Gary Matthews told us, “Every set of images includes at least one bicycle, ridden or stationary, it’s not a trick question. “Maybe he can’t see them because all the bicycles are about the size they would be in the mirror of an Audi A5?

“But we have taken on board his feedback, and it does appear that a large number of Audi drivers are being locked out of websites because they simply can’t see the cyclists that are right there in front of them.

“We have been trialling a new Audi-driver-friendly version of our Captcha solution, using images of tiny tiny gaps in traffic, barely big enough a car, as they seem to have no trouble whatsoever spotting those.”

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Get ML63 with a RU plate and other drivers will give you way because that's what the unwritten Highway Code says...
    Do we have to give way to you when turning right into a wall?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    This morning I got annoyed with a driver waiting for me to cross the road because they didn't look like a competent driver.
    Get ML63 with a RU plate and other drivers will give you way because that's what the unwritten Highway Code says...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

Local road near where I live in London. The traffic is parents dropping off secondary school kids because their darlings are the ones who simply can't walk, cycle or take the bus to school like the kids from the 3 nearby schools.
    There's nothing like getting your kids to school knowing they can't be stabbed on the journey...unless they insist on changing from Radio 2 to Kiss FM...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

True. In fact one of the articles I read said they did a survey among drivers and what emerged was
    - drivers were not aware of the changes
    - even after they became aware they were not planning on changing their behaviour

One more reason for me to buy the bike cam
    Well I'm not holding out hope for pedestrians understanding that jumping the fence 10 feet in front of a car on a dual carriageway at night while dressed like a Ninja is dangerous to their health.

Maybe cyclists will now understand a red light etc applies to them?

Another reason for having a dash cam.

Blame free pedestrian / cycle stupidity will probably not stand up in court once the insurance companies get involved but you will need a recording.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied

To be honest it will only make a difference if there is an accident as some people won't change their behaviour regardless
    True. In fact one of the articles I read said they did a survey among drivers and what emerged was
    - drivers were not aware of the changes
    - even after they became aware they were not planning on changing their behaviour

One more reason for me to buy the bike cam

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

As a driver and a cyclist, I hope there is clear clarity of the changes. Just to be safe, I'll invest in one of those front&rear cameras to record my ride in case I need to sue irresponsible drivers.
    The changes are the rules you have been cycling by for 20-odd years.

The updates look like they are on here - https://assets.publishing.service.go...ghway-code.pdf

The actual highway code online hasn't been updated yet.

To be honest it will only make a difference if there is an accident as some people won't change their behaviour regardless e.g. they think it is ok if you are on foot and in the middle of crossing the road to nearly run you over or shout abuse at you.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied

Main points are
    • Cyclists won’t be “in the middle of the road
    • There is no new rule on riding two abreast
    • There is no new rule on not having to use cycle lanes
    • There is a tweak to priority for pedestrians at crossings
    • Many changes just formalise basic courtesy
    • It’s not just drivers who are asked to be considerate

Is this what they said?

I read a few articles saying cyclists are encouraged to ride 2 abreast, they don't have to use cycling lane if they don't want to, and even when in single file they are encouraged to ride in the middle of the road or whatever makes them feel safe. Motorists when passing need to leave 1.5 metres to cyclists.

As a driver and a cyclist, I hope there is clear clarity of the changes. Just to be safe, I'll invest in one of those front&rear cameras to record my ride in case I need to sue irresponsible drivers.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I agree! Swearing at everything and everyone while I drive is what gives me the most enjoyment
    Careful not to curse unfairly though if the other driver is within earshot. I was driving down a narrow country lane one dark evening when a queue of cars approached coming the other way. I pulled into a cut out on my side, giving them what seemed plenty of room to pass. But as one car passed, apparently having trouble negotiating even the extra room I had left, I clearly heard him calling me a stupid c*** or words to that effect. So I reversed slowly but firmly into the side of his flash looking car, leaving a big dent in one of its doors, and then after saying "Woops a Daisy!" loud enough for him to hear, drove off with my tatty Volvo hardly touched, and hearing enraged screams receding behind me. But he couldn't turn, or even reverse because of the car behind him.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

But I swear at other road users not only when I drive but also when I walk, run and cycle.

The people I like swearing at currently are those idiots on e-scooters who wear black/dark clothing and have no lights then weave in and out not just on the road but also the pavement. Bloody organ donors!
    I do too but it's safer in a car. I run the risk of being heard and having to deal with the consequences of my actions if I'm walking

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Those idiots aren't in the highway code are they?

So we can all run them over or push them off their bloody scooters.

Actually we better not - https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...ding-june-2021

They are doing a good job of removing themselves.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I agree! Swearing at everything and everyone while I drive is what gives me the most enjoyment
    But I swear at other road users not only when I drive but also when I walk, run and cycle.

The people I like swearing at currently are those idiots on e-scooters who wear black/dark clothing and have no lights then weave in and out not just on the road but also the pavement. Bloody organ donors!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Where were you crossing?
    Local road near where I live in London. The traffic is parents dropping off secondary school kids because their darlings are the ones who simply can't walk, cycle or take the bus to school like the kids from the 3 nearby schools.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Where's the fun in driving if I can't swear at everyone?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Where were you crossing?
    Not in front of you, I'd wager, as they lived to tell the tale

Leave a comment:

Working...
X