• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hope this isn't one of you -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this isn't one of you -

but then you are all money grabbing scumbags so it would be one of your relations.

https://propertyindustryeye.com/purp...ty-to-gay-men/

A gay couple were shocked to find that they could not purchase their dream property in Surrey because the owners of house deemed that homosexuality is “against God’s word”.

The vendors, a devoutly Christian couple, refused to sell their £650,000 home to Luke Whitehouse and his partner Lachlan Mantell because of their sexuality.

When the potential buyers attempted to arrange a viewing through Purplebricks, their request was denied and they were sent shocking references to fire and brimstone Bible passages by the couple.

The vendors, builder Luke Main, 33, and his wife, Cambridge University medical physicist Dr Joanna Brunker, 34, refused to allow Whitehouse and his partner to even view the house, let alone buy it, because they were gay.

The homophobic pair cited passages from the Bible and said they could not sell the house to “two men in a partnership”,

Whitehouse, 34, told the press: “Initially, for the first 10 seconds, I laughed. I thought it was a joke.

“But then I was upset and angry and I had a cry on the phone to my mum.

“Homophobia still exists, it is still out there. I did not see it coming. I was blindsided by it.”

The vendors had requested some more information about the prospective purchasers’ “position and circumstances”.

Mantell willingly responded telling them: “I’m a 37-year-old TV producer for ITV and Luke is a 33-year-old business owner in education,” before adding that they liked the area and were in search of their first home.

But they were left stunned when the religious couple replied saying: “We’re sorry if we seem intrusive, but we just want to make clear that we would be unwilling for two men in a partnership to view or buy our house.

“As it is contrary to the gracious teaching in God’s Word, the Holy Bible, e.g. Romans 1:24-28 and Jude 7 (King James Version).”

The first passage cited describes homosexuality as a “sinful desire” and a “shameful act” while the second that those engaged in such acts should be “suffering the vengeance of eternal fire”.

Following a compliant from the gay couple, Purplebricks has removed the listing.

The online estate agency issued the following statement on social media: “Purplebricks is proud to celebrate diversity – it’s ingrained in our culture and values. When this happened, we responded immediately and we hope Lachlan and Luke find their dream home really soon.”
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Does this fall under the same rules as refusing service to people based on race/religion/orientation/gender? Or can you refuse to "sell my house to some bloody poofs" without getting in trouble?

This surely happens quite often I would have thought, though I suppose sending tracts is a little less common.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I suspect it happens more frequently but the owners are more subtle about it.

The vindictive part of me hopes that no-one buys their house and they have to seriously drop the price in order to shift it

Comment

I saw this and was looking for the other thread on this similar theme and the gay cakes and tack it on to the end.

The gay cakes gate ended in the appeal from the cake makers being upheld in the supreme court
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32065233

Looks like the cake appeal will provide case law for instances like the house but it won't as they appeal went on the message of the cake not the orientation of the purchaser. They would have refused to do the cake with that slogan whatever the sexual orientation of the customer so it wasn't discriminating directly against the orientation of the customer so not discrimination. In this case it is direct discrimination against the two gentlemen wanting to buy it so will be an interesting one. I expect the couple will lose if this goes to court.

In my personal opinion, they have the right to chose who to sell it to. The couple have some very outdated views and I don't agree with them at all but it's still their choice. It's based on a strong religious views, not just a general dislike which makes the difference. Many things are driven by religious beliefs that are unsavoury in this day and age and we don't bat an eye. They are getting punished for it which is fair enough. Purple Bricks have done the right thing and no other vendor should deal with them, that's the fall out from their awful decision but IMO they still have the right to that decision. Not because the couple is gay, but because you should still have the choice based on your strong religion beliefs. Free speech and choice can give a platform to some rather undesirable views but it's free speech and religious choice so should be able to do it. They will just have to shoulder the fall out, that is their problem. If they had just said they won't sell because they don't like gay people then throw them under the bus but it's their religious beliefs which should be considered.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I suspect it happens more frequently but the owners are more subtle about it.
          Absolutely it does. House rentals is a good example.
          The vindictive part of me hopes that no-one buys their house and they have to seriously drop the price in order to shift it
          Absa-bloody-lutely. They should have the choice but being so unsavoury they should suffer for it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It probably happens more often because property owners decide to do the selling themselves, so they are in direct contact with the prospective buyers from day 1.
            If it was done through an EA, the sellers wouldn't know anything about the buyers (apart from maybe the surname of one of them when a viewing is arranged) up until the point that solicitors get involved.
            So, the sellers thought they could make extra mammon for themselves and that love has caused all kinds of problems for them. If only there was a book that talked about that...
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

With it being on PB. you get direct contact with the seller which potentially means you can see who is looking if they have a profile with photos (I think). So it's possibly unwittingly aiding prejudice because now you can see they're black before they visit.

I wonder if this will rumble on and the sellers will complain to PB that their listing has been removed due to their religious beliefs, because PB presumably are NOT allowed to discriminate?

Reminds me a bit of the AirBnB contract - they added in sections IIRC that explicitly state "you can't ban gays" or something along those lines. I imagine a lot of AirBnB people are 'particular' about who they allow in their own home/bed.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                So, the sellers thought they could make extra mammon for themselves and that love has caused all kinds of problems for them. If only there was a book that talked about that...
                THe good book certainly doesn't endorse getting scalped 3% by an estate agent who sends a spotty teen round to show your home

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

“As it is contrary to the gracious teaching in God’s Word, the Holy Bible, e.g. Romans 1:24-28 and Jude 7 (King James Version).”
                  Nice to see selective quoting, if they had actually read just a couple more verses of Romans 1, they'd maybe have an issue...

Here's verses 29-31, i.e. other people they really should add to their list of unsuitable buyers, unless it doesn't actually suit their version of what they believe:

"Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
                  Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
                  Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful..."

So, they can't sell their house to anyone who whispers, or is proud. And they shouldn't try to sell if it's clear they are happy to break the covenant they enter into with their estate agent, or if they show no mercy to others.
                  They really should spend less time in Paul's letters and more in the gospels.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

"Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
                    Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
                    Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful..."

Sounds like most of the people on this forum...

Comment

Working...
                    X