• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

I hope this isn't one of you -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    I'll doubtless get shot down for this by the bedwetters on here but...

    Surely it's entirely up to the house owner who they sell their house to, regardless whether the potential buyer is gay, green with orange spots, a horned dwarf alien from the planet Zarg or a property developer?

    The world's gone soft.
    It is up to them.
    This cake baker didn't want to bake a gay marriage cake, it went to the UK supreme and European court of human rights https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-...case-rcna11191 (He was right ,he didn't have to)

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

      It is up to them.
      This cake baker didn't want to bake a gay marriage cake, it went to the UK supreme and European court of human rights https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-...case-rcna11191 (He was right ,he didn't have to)
      Its not as black and white as that as I explained in my summary near the top. They wouldn't put the message on the cake. It wasn't because the customer was gay. They wouldn't have done that cake if straight people had bought it. If the gay guy had just asked for one saying Happy Birthday John he would have got it. That case is about the message on the cake not the people that bought it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
        I'll doubtless get shot down for this by the bedwetters on here but...

        Surely it's entirely up to the house owner who they sell their house to, regardless whether the potential buyer is gay, green with orange spots, a horned dwarf alien from the planet Zarg or a property developer?

        The world's gone soft.
        And I'd totally agree. If people don't like it then they don't deal with them. If they won't sell to gay people they will get punished as no estate agent will touch them and that's the bed they made for themselves. If they are OK with that then let them do what they want. Let society and business deal with them and their poor attitude, not an angry mob who has different opinions. In a situation like this I think Karma will sort it out quite nicely.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          But if they wanted to use a proper estate agent, they won't have the opportunity to find out the background of the buyer until they have accepted an offer.
          1)'proper' is pretty subjective. Modern disruptors are a breath of fresh air to an industry which is money for old rope.
          2)That's a huge stretch. Many people do their own viewings. We prefer to and we prefer to meet the owners when buying since the agent invariably knows absolutely nothing about the property compared to the people who have spent 30 years there.

          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If they won't sell to gay people they will get punished as no estate agent will touch them and that's the bed they made for themselves
            So you're saying it's OK for an agent to discriminate who they take as customers based on protected characteristics?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              So you're saying it's OK for an agent to discriminate who they take as customers based on protected characteristics?
              It's just the same as the people not doing business with the gay couple. They are quite within their rights to not take customers on that don't match the values of their company.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                I'll doubtless get shot down for this by the bedwetters on here but...

                Surely it's entirely up to the house owner who they sell their house to, regardless whether the potential buyer is gay, green with orange spots, a horned dwarf alien from the planet Zarg or a property developer?

                The world's gone soft.

                True, but in divulging the reason for declining the sale the sellers went beyond that into the realm of making a public statement, and a disciminatory one. So the sale aspect then became almost irrelevant.

                In other words, they could equally well have just publicly declared "I refuse to have any dealings with {insert_minority_group_name_here}, as I don't approve of them full stop".
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post


                  True, but in divulging the reason for declining the sale the sellers went beyond that into the realm of making a public statement, and a disciminatory one. So the sale aspect then became almost irrelevant.

                  In other words, they could equally well have just publicly declared "I refuse to have any dealings with {insert_minority_group_name_here}, as I don't approve of them full stop".
                  Fortunately cretinism isn't a protected characteristic so we're all safe to hate each other here

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    True, but in divulging the reason for declining the sale the sellers went beyond that into the realm of making a public statement, and a disciminatory one. So the sale aspect then became almost irrelevant.

                    In other words, they could equally well have just publicly declared "I refuse to have any dealings with {insert_minority_group_name_here}, as I don't approve of them full stop".
                    Not really. The devil is really in the details here and IMO it makes a huge difference.

                    One end is someone that is protecting their religious beliefs. It's documented, been taught, been part of culture. However out of date it is it's a tangible reason and in most cases should be considered and protected.
                    Mid range and debatable is disciminating for a reason. For example, when selling stuff on FB market place a group of people will offer you 50% the value of something everytime, and even if you do get to a deal it becomes another barter on the doorstep if they even turn up at all. It's near on 100% of the time. So you just don't deal with them. Is that discrimantory or is it a good reason based on what happens. It's not all of them but it's easy to spot the demographics that this is going to happen. Another is taking on DSS for a rent. The risk of trouble is very high so you don't want to deal with it. Is that discrimation. It's very arguable and a difficult area.
                    The other end is refusing to deal with someone becuase you don't approve. That's dangerous territory and something that should be removed if possible. No need for this in a vast majority of cases.

                    It's a proper bear pit when it comes to saying no to people but in some cases it maybe justified, in others is downright wrong.

                    And I don't think the sale is irrelevant. It's absolutely key. I'm sure they don't make gay couples an issue in their life, just like the cake makers don't care but when it's brought to your door and is a decision point it becomes relevant and when the media step in and ask why you've little choice to divulge it.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 January 2022, 13:24.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

                      “... I did not see it coming. I was blindsided by it.”

                      .”
                      Quote from "Sex and the City" "They normally give me a warning when that happens"
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X