• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lying to parliament a resigning matter!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lying to parliament a resigning matter!

"Lying to parliament a resigning matter, says Raab, amid claims PM misled MPs

Justice secretary says allegations that Boris Johnson lied about No 10 lockdown party are ‘nonsense’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boris-johnson

Boris did not resign, therefore he did not lie...

And why is it only lying to Parliement a resigning matter, not just lying whilst pursueing political careers?

In every other walk of life it's called fraud and is a criminal offense

Yeah I heard that interview this morning and I do believe the charge of 'leading the witness' applies here.

He was asked to comment on a "hypothetical situation" which was immediately applied to the assumption that Boris has lied to parliament (because we all know that Cummings tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth).

Fraud is a very specific offence, which many people get wrong, so you can't go around saying that all lies are fraud.

Misleading parliament, rather than lying, is also a specific thing. You can lie but you cannot mislead and knowing the difference is key to survival in the Commons. To the average idiot presenting the Today programme, there is no difference and that's where they went wrong in that interview.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Yeah I heard that interview this morning and I do believe the charge of 'leading the witness' applies here.

He was asked to comment on a "hypothetical situation" which was immediately applied to the assumption that Boris has lied to parliament (because we all know that Cummings tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth).

Fraud is a very specific offence, which many people get wrong, so you can't go around saying that all lies are fraud.

Misleading parliament, rather than lying, is also a specific thing. You can lie but you cannot mislead and knowing the difference is key to survival in the Commons. To the average idiot presenting the Today programme, there is no difference and that's where they went wrong in that interview.
      A further caveat is that if you discover that have told a lie to Parliament you should immediately correct that statement and apologise. To date nothing other than Cummings' blathering has made that necessary. (Incidentally I don't remember the Blair creature doing that over Iraq's WMDs...)

I'm also not impressed by Cummings' assertion that he has more material relating to No 10 that will be revealed in due course. If it's that critical to the country, as opposed to his personal hate for BoJo, then it should be out there now. Of course, that would mean he's have to prove it to be accurate.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

He was asked to comment on a "hypothetical situation" ..
        If I was a politician in a public interview like that I would point out that the situation was hypothetical (if the interviewer hadn't explicitly stated that) and never ever comment on it, because if contentious it would be sure to be mysteriously linked, or "promoted" in itself, to a current or planned situation! It's the same as if one was being interviewed by the police - One is never obliged to comment on a situation that hasn't actually happened. You're just potentially incriminating yourself for nothing.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Fraud is obtaining money (or equivalent) by deception - Boris (and 100% of other MPs) lied to get elected - obtained paid position on the basis of their lies, very nice pension entitlement etc, that's clear fraud and 100% of them should be doing time in jail.

In the meantime the country can be taken care by honest professionals like meself...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

If I was a politician in a public interview like that I would point out that the situation was hypothetical (if the interviewer hadn't explicitly stated that) and never ever comment on it, because if contentious it would be sure to be mysteriously linked, or "promoted" in itself, to a current or planned situation! It's the same as if one was being interviewed by the police - One is never obliged to comment on a situation that hasn't actually happened. You're just potentially incriminating yourself for nothing.
            I did think he was an idiot for responding to the "hypothetical situation" as you could totally see where it would lead

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              I'm also not impressed by Cummings' assertion that he has more material relating to No 10 that will be revealed in due course. If it's that critical to the country, as opposed to his personal hate for BoJo, then it should be out there now. Of course, that would mean he's have to prove it to be accurate.
              Wouldn't it be breaking all kinds of secrecy laws if DC had retained emails and so on on his personal devices after leaving? There was talk that people were going to get in big trouble for the leaked footage of Hancock, though I'm not sure that ever happened; Joe Public will talk about "public interest" and "cover ups" but if you leak sensitive data this can be a big deal.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                "Lying to parliament a resigning matter, says Raab, amid claims PM misled MPs

Justice secretary says allegations that Boris Johnson lied about No 10 lockdown party are ‘nonsense’"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boris-johnson

Boris did not resign, therefore he did not lie... ..
                So all birds are black, because all crows are black, and crows are birds. Glad that's that cleared up
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

So all birds are black, because all crows are black, and crows are birds. Glad that's that cleared up
                  With Boris Johnson it is -

Boris often tells lies when he talks, so when he opens his mouth to talk he is lying.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

With Boris Johnson it is -

Boris often tells lies when he talks, so when he opens his mouth to talk he is lying.
                    How is that different to every politician since the dawn of time though?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X