• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am special...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am special...

Wrong visa apparently.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...nated-12509266

Novak Djokovic will be "on the next plane home" if he is unable to provide "acceptable proof" for a COVID vaccination exemption to play at the Australian Open, the country's prime minister has warned.
    Australians have called the decision to give the tennis star a medical exemption to enter the country "a slap in the face" after they endured months of harsh lockdowns.

The number-one ranked player has repeatedly refused to say whether he has been jabbed against COVID-19, and his participation in the Australian Open was in doubt owing to the country's strict vaccination requirements.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: "Any individual seeking to enter Australia must comply with our border requirements.

"He has to because if he's not vaccinated, he must provide acceptable proof that he cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons and to be able to access the same travel arrangements, as fully vaccinated travellers.

"So we await his presentation and what evidence he provides to support that. If that evidence is insufficient, then he won't be treated any different to anyone else and he'll be on the next plane home.

"There should be no special rules for Novak Djokovic at all, none whatsoever."
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Cancelled!!

BBC News - Australia cancels visa of tennis No.1 Djokovic
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-59889522

Not special after all....

Comment

Gotta give it to them Aussies, they've got balls.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It was inevitable his visa would be cancelled once the story got out

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          It was inevitable his visa would be cancelled once the story got out
          Watched the news and some Aussies where saying if he was allowed in they wouldn't watch any of his matches.

Comment

So does this make him Novaxx Djokovic now?
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I don't understand why they are waiting until Monday to decide whether to kick him out or not.

Just send him on a plane to Dubai.

Comment

Being appealed now. Seems more complicated than at first glance, different bits of government saying different things. He was granted an exemption but got the wrong specific visa to go with it, or the person doing the exemption shouldn't have issued it or something. It's not entirely clear who is in charge and now it looks like people are playing politics (elections coming up) to make a statement.

I'm amazed he was ever given the green light and if he is allowed in it's going to be fun at his matches for sure, he's not the most popular guy as it is.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Who issued the original exemption or was he just bluffing it? The rules are simple, get jabbed and prove it, then get tested and be negative Why would he assume he's subject to different rules? Now its political he'll have to be denied access unless Novaxx is bigger than Aus which I doubt Australia has been so draconian with the lockdowns there'll be rioting if rich foreign tw@ts are seen to ride roughshod over the rules

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                    Who issued the original exemption or was he just bluffing it? The rules are simple, get jabbed and prove it, then get tested and be negative
                    No those are not the rules. They allow for valid exemptions and there are several players who have been issued them.

There was some confusion that having Covid recently might be a reason, but again different people in Oz give different answers.
                    Novak has an exemption AND a visa, but not one that allows him to be there - how does that work exactly?!
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X