• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract Stress

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kloos View Post

Maybe because I am trying to convince myself that I am not in a lonely oasis of doom.

However... Start of day two and I've moved on from the day one arggg moment. People to see, meetings to set up, documents to read... all good. Doesn't mean that I suddenly like day one of a new contract. But day two isn't so bad
    We are here to encourage you to keep going.

It gets better (at least for the first few weeks).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

We are here to encourage to to keep going.

It gets better (at least for the first few weeks).
      This is in General. We are also here to rip the piss out of fawning lickspittles
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One of the things I like doing when starting a new contract is digging through documentation to see who has been there before that I know (or is still there now). This can give me a hint as to how well or badly things have gone in the past.
        Then I also look to see if there are any signs that stuff I've done in the past (presentations/designs/documentation) on other sites has been plagiarised by someone and appeared at this client. This can be quite common, and depending on how lazy they've been, they might not have done a Ctrl+H for all references to me (or the previous client), and they very rarely update the file properties.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Years ago I would have thought this a bit funny but we had a BA turn up at a PS gig with sewing box type setup with all this in. It was the start of a massive piece of working finding old kit/services and the like. I have to say it was bloody brilliant and made all the difference. He was a 'proper' BA to boot as well as having all the kit. Having it all mapped out on walls, boards and the like without having to fumble around and make do was a god send.

As Cojie says, it was a real talking point as well. I have to say I have a new found respect for people that turn up kitted out like that.
          Always impressed when people turn up kitted out or at least understanding or interested in the issues.

The best tool you have is "I'm new here can you please tell me your issues." then quietly fix /raise / them.

A box of roses is a nice touch at my current employer you have to set up a series of meetings with a list of people your boss sees as significant (department heads etc) they all get a chocolate at the meeting, its a cheap way of breaking bread. It seems to work as they understand the onboarding is important.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This is in General. We are also here to rip the piss out of fawning lickspittles
            Something you seem to have been lax about! Was your new years resolution to be gentle to newbies?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Something you seem to have been lax about! Was your new years resolution to be gentle to newbies?
              Well no one else has risen to his bedwetting yet so I thought I'd play along and see how it pans out. There is still time.

Comment

I'm starting to wonder whether you have an offline sweepstake to see how quickly you can scare away newbies.

Comment

Well no one else has risen to his bedwetting yet so I thought I'd play along and see how it pans out. There is still time.
                  NLUK has gone soft!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

NLUK has gone soft!
                    Cojak is online.. I can feel her staring at me through the screen

Comment

Originally posted by kloos View Post
                      I'm starting to wonder whether you have an offline sweepstake to see how quickly you can scare away newbies.
                      Not really. You might not have noticed the subtitle of the General forum - All hope abandon ye who enter here. Seriously. And it's there for good reason. Gotta have thick skin to contract and you have to have thicker skin to last in general. Complaining about the first day of your chosen career is gonna attract a bit of ribbing. And that comment about your 1 like vs all the other feedback being a fair split was just a bit surreal. We don't do internet hugs on this forum. You think we are bad? Try posting something inane on Mumsnet and see what a real mauling is like.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 5 January 2022, 15:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X