• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract Stress

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contract Stress

Argggg I hate new starting new contracts. Just that first week or two until I start to know who is who and what is what.

Aye, part of my love hate relationship with ad-hoc and short term project work. Can be good fun, pays well, miles away from IR35 and all that good stuff - but it means near constantly being stuck in this phase. Really gets to me after a while, and I find myself longing for a steady 6 months where I a can actually figure out who is who.

Did a week project a few weeks back, and I'm still not sure if the client PM was who I thought it was, and I'm actually not sure if they were male or female (Not that it matters, really - but you get my point!)

Comment

Originally posted by kloos View Post
      Argggg I hate new starting new contracts. Just that first week or two until I start to know who is who and what is what.
      I mostly work for banks and have no problems with what I am primarily contracted to do. The problem is always the legacy systems connected to it and crucially working out which people know enough to answer questions about them.

Comment

Best bit IMO. The rest is a piece of piss. Even the permies can do it. One of the skills of a contractor/consultant is to do this and it's what makes us different to perms as the rest of it is much the same.

It's all part of the learning curve you still need to take as per your post about your 'boss' and 'line managers' the other month. Sounds like you are still expecting cushtie numbers and you don't like the reality of contracting.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Best bit IMO. The rest is a piece of piss. Even the permies can do it. One of the skills of a contractor/consultant is to do this and it's what makes us different to perms as the rest of it is much the same.

It's all part of the learning curve you still need to take as per your post about your 'boss' and 'line managers' the other month. Sounds like you are still expecting cushtie numbers and you don't like the reality of contracting.
          Well remembered! This role has launched me into the world of outside IR35 so it is a big learning curve for me, but bring it on!!! I have loved setting up my Ltd co and learning what you can and can't claim (with the help of Gorilla which I remember reading that you also use as do a couple of friends I know).

The 'reality of contracting' throws up a whole other question which links to another recent post, that of getting back into perm. I have just completed the 2nd interview for a perm role that offers really good progression, but much lower income. I only took the interview as I didn't have anything on the table at the time. And having been put in that actual position (regardless of whether they offer it to me or not), my thoughts are that I want to be a contractor as it suits my skills better. I have made myself redundant too many times after 12 months in a perm role that it just makes sense to contract.

Also, I am actually better at picking things up than I give myself credit for... I just find it frustrating and wanted to vent. I like that you say it's the best bit. I had never thought of it like that before. Maybe time to re-frame...

Comment

Well remembered! This role has launched me into the world of outside IR35 so it is a big learning curve for me, but bring it on!!! I have loved setting up my Ltd co and learning what you can and can't claim (with the help of Gorilla which I remember reading that you also use as do a couple of friends I know).

The 'reality of contracting' throws up a whole other question which links to another recent post, that of getting back into perm. I have just completed the 2nd interview for a perm role that offers really good progression, but much lower income. I only took the interview as I didn't have anything on the table at the time. And having been put in that actual position (regardless of whether they offer it to me or not), my thoughts are that I want to be a contractor as it suits my skills better. I have made myself redundant too many times after 12 months in a perm role that it just makes sense to contract.

Also, I am actually better at picking things up than I give myself credit for... I just find it frustrating and wanted to vent. I like that you say it's the best bit. I had never thought of it like that before. Maybe time to re-frame...
            Only suits your skills better because you can only get contracts that directly match your skills. Those skills can't be all that good if the permie role offers progression either. If the progression is as good as you say I'd seriously think about taking it for 6 months to a year and then come back contracting on a better rate or more opportunity. A step up via permie will last your entire contracting career so not to be sniffed at. Just treat it as a low rate inside gig because you will definitely be getting them at some point in the future anyway.

With offshoring continuing, to claim it's a bad move to stay at the bottom in roles that will quickly get moved abroad. Very short termist that.

Comment

I used to love the first month of a new contract. It was like the start of a new school year. I even had the joy of buying new stationary to become the 'goto' person in the new client company.

Really, a few quid spent on sticky pads, fresh white board markers, a pair of scissors and other other odds and sods (with a box folder to put it all in) that you can get from Aldi gets your foot in the door. Almost everyone came to 'chat' and borrow stuff - I knew most people by the end of the first week.

And I firmly believe that graciously leaving it at the end of the contract got me repeat business from more than one client.

I miss the office!
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Really, a few quid spent on sticky pads, fresh white board markers, a pair of scissors and other other odds and sods (with a box folder to put it all in) that you can get from Aldi gets your foot in the door. Almost everyone came to 'chat' and borrow stuff - I knew most people by the end of the first week.!
                Years ago I would have thought this a bit funny but we had a BA turn up at a PS gig with sewing box type setup with all this in. It was the start of a massive piece of working finding old kit/services and the like. I have to say it was bloody brilliant and made all the difference. He was a 'proper' BA to boot as well as having all the kit. Having it all mapped out on walls, boards and the like without having to fumble around and make do was a god send.

As Cojie says, it was a real talking point as well. I have to say I have a new found respect for people that turn up kitted out like that.

Comment

Every new gig is a new Oxford notepad and a new Mitsubishi Gel Impact pen (I am a pen geek!)

Every past notebook has inside cover of client co immediate area seating plan with names, as I am crap at remembering them, and normally first day/week there's every tom/dick/harry coming to say hello.*

* Or "the database is broken/ not working, can you fix it?"

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Who sees people nowadays? It's all Teams (at least I don't need to remember names that way as they show on screen). Defo harder on teams as those quiet moments can't be filled at the water cooler.

Comment

Working...
                    X